For our first competition of the year, UEA Ballet, UEA Dance Squad and UEA Tap all made their way down to the University of Surrey for their 2019 Dance Competition. This is the third time we have attended Surrey’s competition so we were very excited to return once again and our high expectations that it would be a great event were certainly not disappointed!

As a university, we entered a total of eight routines: Intermediate Ballet, Advanced Ballet, Intermediate Tap, Advanced Tap, Intermediate Contemporary, Advanced Contemporary, Intermediate Jazz, and Advanced Hip Hop, all of which have been choreographed and taught by students within our clubs.

With it being our first competition of the season, and the first competition ever for some of our competing members, we were all understandably a bit nervous about debuting our dances, especially in front of such a big crowd and four professional dance judges. However, everyone did their absolute bests, with some beautiful performances and infectious energy that even rival universities loved.

We were up against twelve other universities from all across the country, who all performed amazing routines, but we somehow managed to come away winning seven trophies, three of which were special awards! The awards we won were as follows: 1st place for Advanced Ballet, 1st place for Intermediate Tap, 2nd place for Advanced Tap, 3rd place for Advanced Contemporary, Impetus Award for Intermediate Tap, Best Spirit Award for the university as a whole, and finally our Advanced Ballet Choreographer, Mion Yu, won Best Female Dancer of the whole competition.

Every single one of our dancers performed incredibly well and all of our choreographers, competition organisers, and Presidents worked extremely hard to make sure UEA were in with the best chance of achieving so we are very pleased that all of our efforts have paid off.

We are so proud of everyone who danced and we could not be more impressed at how committed and dedicated our dancers have been despite all odds.

Our next competitions are on the 16 March in Manchester and the 24 March in Northampton so we are looking forward to performing twice more and hopefully bringing home even more trophies for UEA Dance!