UEA’s Vice-Chancellor, David Richardson was paid £271,000 for the academic year 2015/2016, marking a 6.3 percent increase on the previous year.

According to the university accounts for last academic year, published last week, Professor Richardson took home £225,000 salary, £38,000 in pension, and received benefits worth £8,000. The pay package is a £37,000 increase on the academic year 2014/2015, during which Richardson was paid £234,000. According to graduate-jobs.com, the average graduate starting salary in the UK is £19,000 – £22,000.

In the same year, university staff received, on average, a one percent pay increase, and rental rates for on campus accommodation rose by 3.4 percent.

Responding to the pay rise, a UEA spokesperson commented: “The university operates in a global market and the makeup of the Vice Chancellor’s remuneration reflects the size and international standing of the University of East Anglia. It is determined by a Remuneration Committee comprising independent members of the University’s council, and it remains at the lower end of Vice-Chancellor salaries across all UK universities”.

Vice Chancellor salaries vary greatly across the UK. The head of Coventry University, John Latham took home £331,000 last academic year, whist Imperial College London’s President, Alice Gast was paid £430,000. Glynis Bakewell, Vice Chancellor at the University of Bath, earned £451,000 during the same period.