Sometimes all you need to get you out of that uni workload slump is to get up and get outside. A stretch of the legs and some fresh air can be the best remedy to exam season stress. So, when I was recently gifted a membership to the National Trust, I realised that I’d been given a free pass to just that, and some beautiful scenery to accompany it. Now, that might seem like an odd gift to give someone but give me two minutes.

For a young person (18-25) an annual membership is only £34.50, which is an absolute bargain if you look at everything you get access to! The National Trust has over 500 sites up and down the country to which you will have free entry and free parking. Think of it as a bucket list of places to visit in your local area.

Being from Cornwall, I’ve explored many of these places before, they make great days out if you’re visiting in the summer. Trelissick gardens (near Truro) is one of my favourite spots, and a place I have been visiting since I was young. It’s a great mix, with countryside for a walk, the manor house to explore and even a hidden beach to have a rest on. It makes for beautiful views and the best day out.

Of course, Cornwall is known for its beaches and a majority of them are National Trust. Godrevy is not one to miss, with its iconic lighthouse and lookout point over a cove covered in seals, it doesn’t disappoint. So if you’re up for a walk along the Cornish coast then this is the place for you!

If you’re a Poldark fan, you’ll know Cornwall is littered with heritage, from smugglers’ coves to tin mines, and you can visit the exact one featured in this hit TV show. Botallack (near St Just) is the backdrop for many scenes, so you can put yourself right in the shoes of the actors and the miners!

The National Trust introduces you to historical homes, castles and forts; tranquil gardens, woodland, coasts and beaches; as well as heritage sites and monuments. Each site has its own story and even more importantly by putting your money towards a membership, you’re ultimately putting your money towards helping to preserve these places. With spring upon us and summer not too far off, it’s the perfect time to make the most of being outdoors. Flowers will be blooming and the sun will (hopefully) be shining! What a better way to have a break from uni deadlines, and even more importantly, a beautiful place to relax once they’re all over?

So grab a pasty, put on your walking shoes and explore a bit of Cornwall you might not have seen before!