The two remaining students embroiled in Warwick’s group chat scandal will not be returning to the university.

There have been protests on campus and calls for Warwick’s Vice Chancellor Stuart Croft to resign following the university’s handling of the situation, where the pair’s ten year bans from campus were reduced to just a year.

Following the exposure of the messages of the group chat and the apparent return of those involved, many students at Warwick University have expressed their upset and feelings of disgust towards what has been revealed.

Many female students have come forward to reveal they feel threatened on their campus. One Warwick student, who wishes to remain anonymous said: ‘An online petition condemning the decision making of the university had reached over 78,000 signatures prior to this decision, including that of Warwick and Leamington MP Matt Western who wrote an open letter addressed to Croft. Western claimed that ‘the disciplinary process has failed all the students and, by extension, the university’.’

Last May, a group chat was exposed in which 11 boys from the university had comments that included rape threats, racial slurs and anti-semitic language. The University made the decision to suspend 11 students on a temporary basis based on their involvement within the chat and until a further decision had been made on their future at the University.

The decision which was made by the University was one which stated that five of the eight group chat members were supposed to have a punishment which required them to leave Warwick for at least a year. However, it was reported that six of the eight returned to the University in the academic year which began in September.

In an update posted onto Warwick’s website last week, Stuart Croft said: ‘We are committed to ensuring the safety of our community. I have today spoken to the two young men concerned and confirm that neither of them will be returning to the University. I am continuing to listen to the views of students, staff and all members of our community here at Warwick and support them so that we can learn from this experience’.

Additional wellbeing support is being offered to students affected by the events surrounding the chat, with sessions held on Wednesday and Thursday evenings that do not require an appointment.