Throughout 2018, Brexit was at the forefront of every British newspaper nationwide. 2019 is the year that the UK will leave the EU, with 29 March being the deadline for Theresa May to strike a deal or leave without. Talk of a second referendum appears to be growing; however, it is unlikely to happen with the Prime Minister frequently rejecting the idea. If the UK is to leave the EU without a deal, a cloud of uncertainty would sweep the country regarding the prices of goods, employment and trade. However, if Theresa May’s deal is approved, Britain must pay £39 billion to the EU and will still be part of the single market and customs union. As well as this, Brexit could see the imposition of a hard border between the Republic and Northern Ireland, something that violates the terms of the ‘Good Friday Agreement’.

2019 could also see the failure of President Trump’s wall along the border of Mexico and the USA. The President’s theory that Mexico would fund this project has unsurprisingly been rejected by the Mexican government. Trump has also been unable to pass the idea through Congress, with Democrats labelling the idea as ‘unethical’. Therefore, the President has failed to gain the funding of $5.6 billion for the project. However, Trump is determined to follow through with this idea and has shut down part of the US government whilst threatening to ‘declare a national emergency’. If the President carries this out, the funding will be taken from the military budget and Trump must provide evidence of an ‘immigration emergency’, something that he will be unlikely to do.

Peace talks could take place in Yemen this year after the UN declared the civil war a humanitarian crisis. The fighting has led the UN to predict over 13 million Yemenis are at risk of famine and it is estimated by ‘Save the Children’ that ‘over 85,000 children have died from malnutrition’. The UN is currently attempting to hold peace talks between the Yemeni government and Houthi Militia in a bid to end the three-year conflict.

With 2018 seeing the warning of 12 years from the UN to limit climate change, 2019 should be a year that has more focus on these issues. How can the prevention of damaging the Earth and its creatures become a reality? Only time will tell how this year could unfold…