The simple statement that one will vote UKIP is often associated with unfair and unjustifiable connotations. Nationalism, fascism, racism along with other ideologies associated with the far right. Yet these are not the reasons why the majority of UKIP supporters voted for UKIP, such as myself.

For decades the political environment has been grey and lifeless. A dull consensus of wishy-washy politics. The Labour Party, the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives all populate the centre ground and differ from each other very little. However, UKIP offers the electorate a very different choice; a choice of true conviction.

The EU has become a bureaucratic beast that has been sucking out the life of European democracy. The Euro has wrecked economies throughout the Mediterranean; immigration has been ignored while the idea of self-government has been largely thrown out of the window. Furthermore the British people have never had a true say on our costly membership of this undemocratic conglomeration. The 1975 referendum was nearly 40 years ago and many generations have since passed, not to mention that vote was for membership to the European Economic Community rather than a political union. The people of today need a say as they begin to voice their new found Euroscepticism.

Photo: Flickr - Sarah Joy
Photo: Flickr – Sarah Joy

But how can somebody vote for a ‘racist’ party? UKIP have been labelled as being a racist party during the past six months, despite the three established parties being plagued by issues over similar allegations of racist and abusive members. Also, since the recent rise in support for Nigel Farage, UKIP have been targeted by the political and media elite due to their fear of the party’s increasing success simply because it is a party that used to be on the fringe of politics that is now becoming a major player. Being to the right of the Conservative Party, the assumption has been made that they must affiliate with ideas of nationalism, and by extension is intrinsically racist, but to claim that UKIP is a racist party simply because it opposes some forms of immigration is simply ludicrous and wrong. If UKIP were truly a racist party they would halt all immigration, but they continue to insist that they think immigration is good. The influx of skilled people has proven since the end of the Second World War to strengthen our public services and economy, UKIP strives to have this at the forefront of its political agenda.

Finally, UKIP offers some a return to the traditional political system. Not too long ago the British political system was divisively partisan. Liberals would vote for the Liberals, socialists would vote for Labour and conservatives would vote Conservative. As UKIP becomes a greater force in politics, Britain’s parties will have to truly define themselves. Perhaps by 2015 we will be living in a much more colourful political system.

To see another side of the debate surrounding UKIP, take a look at ‘The one way rise of UKIP’ by Joe Jameson.

25 COMMENTS

1. Obviously not genuine opinions. Or an idiot beyond academic repair. Regardless don’t vote for UKIP, obviously.

2. Lol. The comments read like an episode of South Park.

On a more serious note for you (and they?) scholars:

“”Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”” C.S Lewis

3. hahaha Harry you mad man! See you in the gym haha! This is hilarious, love it!

4. I would just like to point out that the author is expressing their own personal views, as is the nature of a comment article, which does not lessen the validity of the article.

-All opinions my own.

5. “The EU has become a bureaucratic beast that has been sucking out the life of European democracy”

Lies and misinformation.

The European Commission is the only body of the European Union that could be regarded as bureaucratic, as it has 28 members representing each state who are chosen by their national governments. However, the President of the European Commission is ELECTED by the European Parliament. This is what is known as an indirect election, the same process by which we get a Prime Minister, look it up.

Moreover, the Lisbon Treaty (vehemently opposed by UKIP, if I recall) gave much of the European Commission’s power to the European Parliament (the body you just ELECTED members to). The European Council, on the other hand, is comprised of the 28 (ELECTED) heads of government and a President (essentially a chairperson) they appoint (another indirect election).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCUF5t1kRlI

“The Euro has wrecked economies throughout the Mediterranean”

You need to look at the economies of Greece and Portugal before they joined the European Union and then look up something called the Structural Cohesion Fund. The Mediterranean was rebuilt by the European Union.

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/glossary/structural_cohesion_fund_en.htm

“immigration has been ignored”

Is that why the Campsfield detention centre exists? Is that why London Met lost their ability (thankfully returned) to host international students? Is that why there are LGBT+ asylum seekers being asked to prove their identities to courts and, in one case, having them denied because in the video they submitted of them having sex with their boyfriend they didn’t have an erection?

http://closecampsfield.wordpress.com/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19425955
    http://www.care2.com/causes/the-uk-is-interrogating-gay-asylum-seekers-and-it-has-to-stop.html

“the idea of self-government has been largely thrown out of the window”

At this point I had to conclude that you don’t know anything about anything.

There are external constraints on what governments can do: the UN, Multi-National corporations, international organisations, the Bretton Woods institutions. Yes, we have pooled sovereignty with other countries to form the EU, but it is not the only restraint on government power and it does not mean the end of self government.

The European Union didn’t make David Cameron Prime Minister.
    The European Union didn’t raise tuition fees.
    The European Union doesn’t privilege the City of London above all other areas of the country.
    The European Union isn’t banning American Literature from the GCSE syllabus.
    The European Union didn’t pass the bedroom tax.
    The European Union isn’t privatising the NHS.

“Furthermore the British people have never had a true say on our costly membership of this undemocratic conglomeration”

Not costly or undemocratic.

http://www.euromove.org.uk/index.php?id=15079

We also haven’t had a say on our membership of the UN, nor NATO, nor the World Bank. In fact, the people of Norwich have never really had a say on our membership of the United Kingdom. WE DEMAND A REFERENDUM NOW.

I believe Elliot has covered the racist stuff, so let us move on to the misogyny, homophobia and transphobia:

Nigel Farage on women working in stockbroking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ElUj2ZmMWY

Roger Helmer on homosexuality: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ukip-mep-roger-helmer-people-should-be-able-to-dislike-homosexuality-like-they-do-different-types-of-tea-9300202.html

Nikki Sinclaire on her experience of being in UKIP: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25054626

So carry on voting for UKIP if you want, but don’t you dare try to obfuscate and prevaricate to hide what they really stand for.

• I am pro European but I am getting sick of the left just smearing anyone who criticizes the EU with ‘lies and misinformation’

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/glossary/structural_cohesion_fund_en.”

I’m not going to take issue with all your points because I agree with you on many issues, but you are as guilty of ‘misinformation’ as the author of this article may be

It is wrong to claim that structural funding ‘rebuilt’ the EU , it is a relatively small budgetary item , and though I’m sure it helped somewhat it was not the major factor in rebuilding southern European economies. There are lots of studies going into depth about the effectiveness of structural funding , and they generally come out as having a small growth contribution or little effect at all

More to the point, he is referring to the Euro specifically : this has been a disaster for Greece, who are truly suffering what can only be described as a depression now. Youth unemployment in Greece has reached nearly 65% and the economy is still contracting. You can argue till the cows come home about whose fault this is: the IMF , Troika , the Greek government themselves for fiscal irresponsibility but ultimately it is a function of them being part of a currency they were never sustainably able to benefit from and one which has without a doubt made the longevity and depth of the crisis worse as Greece has not been able to devalue its currency.

the point of the matter is that although Europe has done allot of good in my eyes, its democracy and economic policies are certainly questionable at times and certainly not infallible. Though I don’t agree with them with their attitude to Europe, UKIP supporters do have legitimate arguments about the way Europe is run and the Left needs to acknowledge that and provide reasonable counter arguments or justifications , not just smear them and pretend the process is perfect.

• I like you’re standpoint regardless. The above video is hilarious though. I passionately believe though that people, such as yourself, should argue politics properly and be more open. Politics isn’t black and white, and you understand that.

I respect you Sir! 🙂

6. “If UKIP were truly a racist party they would halt all immigration, but they continue to insist that they think immigration is good”

Really? I was under the impression Nigel Farage wanted to stop all immigration: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/07/ukip-ban-immigrants-nigel-farage

And Farage also said that Romanians are more likely to commit crime. In my eyes that’s pretty racist. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article3874726.ece

I’m proud to have voted to oppose UKIP – it’s a racist, sexist, homophobic party that scares me. http://www.concrete-online.co.uk/voted-oppose-ukip/

These views are my own and do not reflect the position of Concrete.

• Until you denounce you dangerous, radical, and militant political beliefs you have no right to argue against something that is of a more moderate nature.

• Hey Harry, I think you need some perspective.

Elliot holds some views with which I disagree and they do happen to be further left than any of the mainstream parties. However, you cannot at once defend your right to vote for a party that has, in the past, proposed a flat tax, homophobic and misogynist policies and have candidates whose views amount to little more than hate speech and then tell a fellow student that they have no right to express themselves.

Elliot and I come from different ideological traditions, but we both oppose UKIP. Not because we’re stooges of the mainstream media or new-Labour die-hard, but on the basis of the things they say and do and the things they say they will do.

I have watched this video of an old white man ranting before and, though I did find him entertaining, I disagree with what he says and his characterisation of the left, at least at this university, is false.

Also, next time you tell me you respect me, please get my gender right.

Love,

A proud radical and militant, transsexual, pro-EU, lesbian, left-wing student.

• I have perspective, and I am open to discuss different political ideologies. But somebody who believes in something that is so far to the left is dangerous. Not wrong, but dangerous. Much in the same way that it is dangerous to believe in the far-right, it is dangerous to believe in the far left.

Elliot is not wrong. But his political stance is something that should DEFINITELY be questioned. Communist, fascist. Same to me.

• Elliot is genderqueer and prefers the pronoun “they”. Please only refer to them as such.

You don’t really, honestly believe that, right?

Elliot isn’t violent, Elliot does not attack people. Elliot does not treat people differently based on the the colour of their skin, gender or class. Elliot simply believes in a different economic system to you.

That is not dangerous, that is an opinion.

• Considering that people like me (disabled, LGBT, communist) have frequently been persecuted and killed by fascists, it’s quite offensive to be called a fascist.

(Views my own, not Concrete’s)

• “Communist, fascist. Same to me”

I, too, am a member of the Throw-Away-Your-Dictionary-Party, and you’ll see me on campus before the next GE campaigning that there is no distinction between any political ideologies making the whole concept of democracy pointless.

• Of course, the communists were not guilty of any atrocities what so ever. Let’s ignore the tens of million of people killed by communism.

• You, sir, lack a nuanced understanding of ideology.

Marx would not have recognised the Soviet Union as communist and you would be hard-pressed to find a single communist in this country who condones it. Just as, I imagine, you do not condone the atrocities committed by the United States of America, Israel or General Pinochet.

• UKIP’s policies aside, I believe that the Palestinians, much like the Jewish people, are and have been persecuted. Give me one, at least one, example of communism that operated how Marx intended. My point exactly. Stop living in a utopian dream world, and face reality. I am sure that as soon as you have a job and a home of your own, you will realise how misinformed you really are.

Think before you post a response please.

• Do you have an example of how neo-liberal economics has worked in the way Hayek intended?

I’m not a communist myself, but I think any understanding of political and social history would lead you to conclude that no society has ever even gotten close to communism.

The “job and home of your own” stuff is the usual cheap and irrelevant point that people of your political persuasion make. I have a job; I happen to work in the care industry. I also have a home although, as I am not of a particularly wealthy background, I do not own it.

I am not living in a utopian dream world, I’m fighting for the things I believe to be moral and just: exactly as you are.