In support of their new album Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life, The Wombats returned to a sold out LCR to deliver that infectious indie pop sound that has lit up indie discos for the past decade.

As the lights dimmed, the sleepy CGI wombat’s eyes shot wide open and synthesizers bled out the speakers. The crowd erupted in elation as the headline trio finally emerged behind the sidestage black curtain. Psychedelic, jangly pop vibes engulfed the room and it became clear The Wombats were still just as relevant as they’ve always been. The adoring crowd screamed back every lyric and were moving side to side under the frenzy of the mosh pit.

As The Wombats ripped through their set, playing fan favourites such as 1996 and Moving To New York, the energy didn’t stop for a second. Nostalgiainducing bangers such as Techno Fan accumulated roars of happiness from the first note hitting the ears of the crowd. The sparkling indie pop tune, Pink Lemonade, was accompanied by lead singer, Matthew Murphy, confessing that he was sitting in a café in Barcelona convincing himself that his partner was off having sex with everyone in London.

As the set grew closer to its finale, the indie pop trio whipped out their most renowned song, Let’s Dance To Joy Division, the venue felt like a Propaganda event x10 (in a good way). As the band briefly exited the stage, they shortly arrived back to play an encore. The delicate synths at the beginning of Tokyo sent the place into indie euphoria and the stage was invaded by people in wombat costumes. Finishing off the show was Greek Tragedy, from their third album Glitterbug; the compelling blend of traditional indie rock with off-kilter beats and interesting synth sounds translated beautifully to the live show and capped off a great evening of music.

The marsupial, Liverpudlian pop outfit certainly proved they’ve still got life left in them, and their fans will be with them till the end.