Women watch porn. If that is news to you, and you’re feeling unsteady now that your world has been turned upside down, then stop reading now.

Even at university women face quite a stigma about watching porn, which is surprising. University is shameless and unapologetic, and often that isn’t a positive thing. But when it comes to self-expression, university is a good time to admit you’ve completed the five Ls, vomited in a welly boot at a festival, or even that you watch porn.

Therefore I was surprised when the subject came up last year that two of my good friends were quick to renounce they’d ever watched porn, and that they’d never even been curious – not even to look for tips.

Of course it might not have the same appeal to some people as it does to others, but guaranteed, sex is appealing to most. Porn is some of the best sex education you can get, cucumbers and condoms just don’t suffice. So I refuse to believe that blatant curiosity hasn’t taken most of us to the deep dark corners of the internet at least once.

According to a statistics presented by PornHub, more women are searching terms like ‘hardcore’ and ‘rough sex’ than men, in fact 90% more. That means women are just as likely to know who Sasha Grey is. Group sex is also a much more popular search term with women, with ‘threesome’ being the second most popular search term and ‘gangbang’ being the fourth – for men they don’t even come in the top twenty. So women aren’t just watching the ‘female friendly’ category… far from it.

Not only is there a stigma about women watching pornography, but women starring in the explicit films is also the subject of regular debate. Part of the problem it seems is that feminism doesn’t seem to know how to react to women in pornography. Some feminists think it’s damaging and that women porn stars are exploiting and degrading themselves, other more liberal feminists find it empowering.

Miriam Weeks, more commonly known as the ‘freshman porn star’ Belle Knox, and a student at Duke University studying Law, found her sexual endeavours were soon revealed by her fellow students. She received death threats and a petition has even started at the university in order to get her expelled. In an interview on The View the panel express their shock when Belle admits she has been watching porn since she was twelve. One can only question whether the same shock and horror would have existed had it been said by a male counterpart.

In any case, it’s safe to say that incognito man is friend to those of any gender, pornography is something that many adults enjoy and should not be shamed for what they do privately, legally and in their free time. Next issue: masturbation.