Make the most 2013

Last year is going to take some beating. In spring the diamond jubilee made the Union Jack cool again; during the summer the world was introduced to both the Mobot and the idea of Andy Murray winning things; and as the year wound down, Obama was re-elected and Mitt Romney was sent back to relative obscurity.

To get you through the January blues here are a few ways for you to make the best of 2013:

Firstly, stop using dodgy online streams and actually get down to your local cinema for a change – it’ll be worth it. 2013 is going to be a bumper year for nostalgia with the Monsters Inc. gang back with a university-based prequel, and the original Jurassic Park, Top Gun and two Star Wars films returning in 3D. As if that wasn’t enough, Anchorman II will be released – it’s kind of a big deal.

The city of Norwich also has a lot to offer. In May the Norfolk and Norwich Festival returns with its usual eclectic mix. Throughout the year The Playhouse regularly has some of Britain’s finest comics performing and ticket prices are dirt cheap – just one of the big names booked for this year is Ardnal O’Hanlon (aka Dougal from Father Ted). The monthly Red Card Comedy Club held at Carrow Road is also worth a look.

Plus, as the ice recedes and the sun comes out, campus becomes an increasingly attractive place to be. Despite the beauty of East Anglia, there isn’t anywhere quite as special as the clash of green and concrete that is UEA in summer. Frisbee by the lake, drinks in the Square. Graduation isn’t too far away, despite how far it may feel, so don’t waste this wondrous time. But when you do need to study, make sure you get a table in the library that doesn’t overlook the lake or the square – it won’t end well.

22/01/2013

joeymillar

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031