2017 in Sport

January 

The New Year has already seen its first world championship claimed, with Michael van Gerwen defeating Gary Anderson 7-3 at the Alexandra Palace to be crowned the PDC World Darts Champion for the second time. Hot on the heels of that success comes the first tennis major of the year as newly knighted Sir Andy Murray goes for his first Australian Open title after finishing runner-up at the Melbourne event in five of the past seven years. The opening month of 2017 concludes with Carl Frampton defending his WBA ‘Super’ Featherweight title against Leo Santa Cruz in Las Vegas.

February

February begins with the biggest event in US sport, the Superbowl. And with the Denver Broncos having failed to qualify for the post-season play-offs, there will be a 13th consecutive different name on the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Back in Europe, the Six Nations will begin in earnest as Scotland host Ireland, England take on France at Twickenham and Wales travel to face Italy. The tournament will last until the 18th March with England looking to retain the title for the first time since 2001.

March

In March, UEA steps up to the plate as our esteemed campus plays host to Derby Day. The annual contest between UEA and the University of Essex features a wide range of sports and will be taking place on Saturday 11th March, starting at 10am. UEA will be looking to build on their recent dominance over Essex which has seen the Yellow & Blues claim the past four Derby Day titles, including a spectacular 34-29 success in Colchester last year.

April

April sees a plethora of sporting events get underway including the Grand National and Snooker World Championships  as well as the Masters Golf from Augusta and the World Cup of Gymnastics which will be held in London. The Cricket County Championship season will kick-off on April 7th, while the Thames is the scene for the 163rd edition of the Oxford-Cambridge boat race.

May

Boxing will then take centre stage as the unbeaten Anthony Joshua takes on Wladimir Klitschko in a heavyweight world title fight at an already sold-out Wembley Stadium. May represents the conclusion of the domestic football season with the final round of Premier League games taking place on May 21st. The FA Cup final is a week later, while the Rugby Union Premiership Final will also be held on May 28th.

June

June is all about cricket. The month opens with the ICC Champions Trophy which will be held at Edgbaston, Cardiff and the Oval, before concluding with the Women’s World Cup and the first round of day/night test matches in County Championship history. Sandwiched in between is also the start of the flat season in horse racing with events taking place at Epsom and Royal Ascot, while Cardiff is the host for the Champions League final.

The Confederations Cup begins in Russia on June 17th and the British & Irish Lions Rugby Union side start their tour of New Zealand one week later on the 24th.

July

In July, Britain will play host to the World ParaAthletics Championships, kicking off a busy few months in athletics for the Olympic Stadium. Across London at SW19, Sir Andy Murray will be looking to retain his Wimbledon crown and become the first Briton since Fred Perry in 1936 to claim back-to-back men’s singles victories. With women’s football growing in popularity, July’s Euro 2017 tournament is one not to be missed. England manager Mark Sampson led his side to an impressive third place finish at the World Cup in 2015 and the Lionesses look well placed to build on that excellent showing when they travel to the Netherlands.

August

The Premier League kicks off again in early August, while England resume their World Cup Qualifying campaign just two weeks later with an away trip to Malta and a home fixture against Slovakia. The Olympic Stadium will continue to host prestigious events in athletics this month, including the IAAF World Athletics Championships which will see Mo Farah, Usain Bolt and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce return to the site of their 2012 glory.

September

As we move into Autumn, the England cricketers will be finishing a long summer with Tests and ODIs against the West Indies in September.

October

The Rugby League World Cup begins in October and will be hosted by Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

November

Britain will look to win the Davis Cup again in 2017 with the final being played in November, while the Formula 1 season concludes in the same month at Abu Dhabi, with Lewis Hamilton aiming to win back the title following Nico Rosberg’s retirement. The Ashes begin soon after and England will hope to avoid a repeat of the last result down under and retain the famous urn that they last won back in 2015.

December

The end of 2017 will see Michael van Gerwen defend his PDC World Darts Championship crown in December. In horse racing, the King George VI Chase, superbly won by Thistlecrack last month, will return on Boxing Day.

22/01/2017

richardandnick

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031