TV

2021: The TV shows we’re looking forward to

WandaVision

(January 15 and every following Friday, streaming on Disney+)

Judging from the pre-release trailers and promo material, ‘WandaVision’ is set to be extraordinary for both the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Disney+. Although it’s hard to tell from the scant footage released, the series will seemingly follow former Avengers Wanda Maximoff and the Vision as they settle down in a sleepy suburb, where not everything is as it seems. I’m hoping this show will get seriously weird.

In comic book form, Wanda is known as the Scarlet Witch, a mutated human with exponential cosmic-level reality warping abilities who effortlessly crossed out the X-Men back in 2005. Seeing Elizabeth Olsen donning the signature crimson cowl in the trailer gives me faith that the latest original from Disney+, following in the successful, force-sensitive footsteps of the Mandalorian, will highlight that their programming strategy is of quality, not quantity. Fingers crossed for scarlet witches, resurrected robots and magical twin babies.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Doctor Who, This is Going to Hurt and Death in Paradise

‘Doctor Who’: I thought the episode ‘The Revolution of the Daleks’, on January 1, was the best storyline, acting and the most enjoyable episode I have seen since 2013’s special ‘The Day of the Doctor’ (the 50th anniversary of the show). It’s for this reason that I think the next series, due to air later this year, will be worth a watch.

‘This is Going To Hurt’: Although I have not read the book this show will be based on, it does sound like a fun read, so I’m going to give this show a try.

‘Death In Paradise’: The new series of the detective show has started, and I am looking forward to watching it because it has usually delivers some great unexpected plot twists.

19/01/2021

Dan Siddorn and Laurence Scott

1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031