Given that it’s the city that never sleeps, it’s no surprise that spending 24 hours in New York will reveal an abundance of interesting things to do.

ny1

With hostels such as the HI-New York, North America’s largest hostel conveniently located one block from Broadway, and beds in dorm rooms from $49 per night, you’ll easily find accommodation at the heart of the city.

An initial must-see is the High Line, a public park built on an elevated freight rail line. It runs along Manhattan’s west side and is brimming with art, nature and incredible views.

If you’re in the mood for some food and entertainment, BB Kings Blues Club and Grill, set just off Times Square, can provide Sunday brunch accompanied by the Harlem Gospel Choir. They serve up a full all-you-can-eat southern buffet including South Carolina Grits, Cinnamon Brown Sugar French Toast and Buttermilk Biscuits, more than enough to get you through the afternoon!

Museums are commonplace throughout the city, but one which is somewhat overlooked is the National Museum of the American Indian. It includes one of the most extensive collections of Native American artefacts in the world, and a great film and media section showcasing the work of Native Americans today.

From the Museum of the American Indian you can cross the road into Battery Park, which holds great views of the Statue of Liberty, and walk along FDR Drive to the South Street Seaport, which has a fantastic view across the Hudson River and of the Brooklyn Bridge. South Street Seaport Pier is full of shops, places to eat and is flanked by renovated sailing ships on a fine day. If you want to see some theatre while in the city, this is also a good place to get tickets, with a TKTS Booth nearby, holding cheaper tickets to the majority of the Broadway and Off Broadway shows without the queues of Times Square.

A final stop, open until midnight, is Ellen’s Stardust Diner, a retro 1950s themed restaurant with singing waiting staff. Located at 1650 Broadway and a short walk from Times Square, the diner provides classic American food served by the talented staff hoping to make their way up the ladder and achieve their dreams of singing on Broadway.

If there’s still time left in your visit then seeing New York City at night from the Empire State Building is a wonderful sight. The building is open until 2am, and will leave you with a beautiful last impression of New York City before your time runs out.