Fashion

25 fashion trends of 2017

Five Shoe Trends – Sophie Bunce

As the weather gets warmer our feet are finally freed. Forget the winter months in heavy boots and fur lined trainers, spring is here to let us shop for strappy sandals once more. 5 key trends seen on the runway this season include sling back heels, classic pumps with a twist, toe ring sandals, ankle boots and trainers. It seems that this season all eyes are on our feet and I for one can’t wait. This almost justifies the hefty price tags that come with the spring/summer collections most lusted after items, such as the Saint Laurent Opyum pumps, which see the return of the full YSL title, after being shortened to SL by Hedi Slimane in her time as creative director. It doesn’t matter if the UK summer is grey, these will put a spring in your step. The return of coveted styles and images, like YSL, show that this spring/summer old is the new ‘new’. The 80s and 90s trends still also hold their place on the runway, and it seems as if they’ll never leave, in the form of classic white trainers with every outfit and boots your parents will remember owning. 80’s styles and 60’s prints allow experimentation with footwear. But if this is all too much the slingback heels, pictured at Dior, offer a welcome return of a familiar friend. One thing to remember this season is – keep it classic but with an edge. Switch up your look in the new spring/summer season with your new best friends. A new pair of shoes.

Five Womenswear Trends – Emily Claridge

Straight Leg Trousers

I know it’s near blasphemy to suggest anything but the skinny jean but a white straight leg trouser will be your greatest friend this summer.

Structured Blouse

The bodycon is out and stiff but lightweight fabrics are in

Orange and Yellow

These have always been colours of the summer but go hard or go home with block coloured blouses and skirts.

Stripes

The pin stripe is back in any and every way. Whoever said stripes weren’t flattering hasn’t found the right outfit.

Bathrobes

Pretty much the best trend to come out of fashion week is the ‘is it a robe is it a coat?’

Five Menswear Trends – Emily Claridge

As the athleisure trend leaves the womenswear world we see a spike in brand hoodies, 90’s street wear and jogging bottoms this season. To brighten up a boring summer staple of shorts use block colouring with a sports tee. Pastels have long since been a firm favourite for summer wear but for mens formal wear pastel is making its debut. Try a pastel blazer to bring something different to your usual summer suit. You can also dress down the blazer with a roll up jean, to sock or not to sock is the real question with this trend.

Mods and rockers have long since been in competition but this year you don’t have to pick a side. Switch daily between your bomber jacket or lightweight parker.

Five Hair & Beauty Trends – Emily Claridge

The high ponytail

Orange nails and lips

Coral is back and here to stay. If you are more of a tame fashion wearer you can bring a pop of colour with your make-up this season.

The small flick cateye

The cat-eye has always been a classic but a tame flick right in the corner of your eye is the subtle way to wear this classic look.

The half-bun

Also known as the ‘I don’t have time for a fringe deadline week hairstyle’ the half up do is perfect for an easy summer look.

Cleansing oils

A winner in skincare essential oils are a must have.

Five Accessory Trends – Emily Claridge

The statement earring is staying strong as this seasons boldest and hottest trend. You can mix and match or traditionally coordinate just make sure the bigger the better. When it comes to earrings, size matters.

The likes of Kim Kardashian have already brought the corset to casual wear but this summer the trend is far more accessible with small corset belts and thick waist cinchers to bring an edge to your outfit. Pair it with flaired light trousers (I know, I know, no one likes a flair but trust me) and a structured blouse. 80’s retro shades have been made cool again by Selena Gomez and Kendall Jenner, I’m talking matrix style thin shades, they can’t quite cover your hangover but you at least look cool. Arm cuff’s easily put some oomph into an outfit that could otherwise be dull, just watch out for the arm cuff tan line that is not such a hot look.

Would it even be summer if I didn’t start talking about bum bags again? Don’t worry I won’t try and convince you to get one but the cross body bag (in any form, fanny packs included) has been seen on runways and hopefully in your wardrobe soon!

28/04/2017

emilyClaridge

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930