30 years of Home Alone

Home Alone is one of the greatest Christmas classics! It has succeeded in establishing itself a Christmas tradition, as well as making three sequels, and the whole franchise in and of it. It’s a great comedy movie exploring the fantasy of a young boy, Kevin (Macaulay Culkin), having the entire house to himself, which I think many kids would dream of. Being left home alone would usually mean hearing strange noises and being afraid to look in places but ultimately doing things that your parents wouldn’t let you like eating all the ice cream and sleeping in your parents’ bed, not protecting your house from burglars… 

However, Disney has just bought the rights to Home Alone and is possibly thinking about rebooting the movie. Original Home Alone director, Chris Columbus, is not very excited about this remake, and is calling the project “a waste of time”. He goes on to say “I’m a firm believer that you don’t remake films that have had the longevity of Home Alone. You’re not going to create lightning in a bottle again. It’s just not going to happen.” I completely agree with Chris, I feel like the first film and its sequels are great and Disney should not mess with the success they have and the success it continues to make. 

The acting in Home Alone is also amazing. Macaulay Culkin is amazing as Kevin McCallister, at such a young age Macaulay took on the big role of a scared yet empowered young boy who takes on the “Wet Bandits”. The bandits portrayed by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern also add great flare to the movie. Pesci’s character Harry is strict and easily agitated and picks on Marv most of the movie. Stern brings a great trait to the character of Marv, who is the stereotypical “tall, stupid one”. I like Marv the most, mainly because of the stupidity of his character so you end up feeling sorry for him. 

The movie is a classic and is clearly being passed through generations as we are still loving the movie to this day. I still laugh when watching this movie, it’s really one of those “feel good” movies, the kind that makes you want to cuddle up on the sofa with family and friends, relax and enjoy the movie. So, if you haven’t seen Home Alone, GO WATCH IT NOW! 

15/12/2020

Caitlin Telford

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930