43% of UEA sports clubs and societies at risk of being disbanded

As a result of investigations into the results of Students’ Union sports clubs and society committee elections, Concrete have found that 113 (43%) are at risk of being disbanded.

These elections determine the committees for societies during the 2022-23 academic year. 

Of the 265 sports clubs and societies who take part in the election process, 44 (17%) have had no candidates running for any of the positions available and a further 69 (26%) haven’t filled the required President, Treasurer, and Secretary roles. 

On a society level, of the 207 societies 94 (45%) are in danger of being disbanded.

40 societies (19%) have had no candidates running for any of the positions available. This includes Amnesty International, Nursing, Womanist, and Palestine Solidarity societies. A further 54 (26%) haven’t filled the three obligatory roles, including Engineering, Labour, International Students, and Feminist societies.

In terms of sports, of the 58 clubs 19 (33%) are in danger of being disbanded.

4 societies (7%) have had no candidates running for any of the positions available, including American Football, Mixed Hockey, and Windsurf. A further 15 (26%) haven’t filled the President, Treasurer, and Secretary roles. This includes Men’s Basketball, Men’s Football, Netball, and Rowing. 

Before the election results were announced, the SU Opportunities Team have sent an email to current committees with low candidate take-up saying: “To ensure your society can continue next year, you should be aiming to elect the President, Treasurer, and Secretary in this round of elections.”

“If you are unable to find any committee members from this election your society may be at risk of disbandment, which is not something we want to happen.”

Voting opened on 31st March at 10am and was meant to close on 6th April at 10pm. The SU Opportunities Team extended the voting period by four days citing technical issues with the uea.su website, meaning it closed on 11th April. Results were released to current committees at 15:36 on Tuesday 12th April.

03/05/2022

Dolly Carter

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031