It is hardly a secret that fast fashion brands are continuing to place huge pressure on courier services despite the obvious risks associated with handling large quantities of parcels. As such, I am making an effort to support smaller businesses during the current situation. Though buying from smaller businesses still invites risk (the goods still need to be delivered to me through Royal Mail), I am also highly aware of the fact that for these smaller players, often operating at higher price points than the cheap and cheerful bigger companies, any sales during this period could be the difference between keeping afloat once things return to some semblance of normality, or, god forbid, facing closure.

Imogen Carter de Jong

One of the few good things to come out of Lockdown is seeing the number of Pretty Little Thing parcels arriving on my doorstep plummet. Since there is nowhere to go and no one to see, I am trying to keep my impulsive buying to a minimum. That being said, when I have indulged in a little online shopping my go to sites are ASOS and Amazon. 

Nura Abow

Online shopping has been a godsend during isolation! After losing over a stone in weight since last summer, I realised upon moving home that none of my summer clothes fit me properly. Being able to order clothes online has meant I’ve been able to enjoy the summer sun wearing clothes I feel comfortable in. I’ve not only ordered clothes online but also bought several books to help pass the time stuck inside. I’ve also bought a few presents for loved ones who are spending lockdown separately to me. I don’t know how I would cope without it. 

Jessica Barrett

With our highstreets being shut down for some time now, it can seem difficult to experience that same relaxing retail therapy we perhaps enjoyed in previous summative seasons. The fashion industry has been hit the hardest by the lockdown measures and so have our summer wardrobes. Online shopping has stepped in to plug the gap with mass sales on top of student discounts making online shopping all the more attractive. Look to designers like Oakley, where you can get up to 60% off, meaning those sunglasses you’ve always wanted are finally in budget. I don’t think that online shopping brings the same level of retail therapy as wandering around a busy bustling city centre and getting to explore the array of shops trying on various outfits and accessories, but it does give us access to brands that perhaps wouldn’t ordinarily be on our doorstep.

Roo Pitt

My housemate and I had discussed learning how to embroider for months before Corona even arrived. When the lockdown was announced, the first thing I did was get on Hobbycraft and ordered myself an embroidery kit to embark on my journey to becoming a DIY Queen. In all seriousness, my skills are not entirely up to scratch, but I have loved learning this new skill. The first thing I embroidered, of course, had to pay homage to UEA; so I spent two weeks sewing the outline of the Zigs on an old white t-shirt. Since then, I have experimented on all my old, unloved clothes left behind at my parents’ home, which have now had to become my full-time wardrobe. I am someone who loves fashion and a self-confessed ASOS addict, but this time in isolation, I have not been tempted to spend my student loan on a new wardrobe. My latest creative outlet has me far more interested in how I can modify my old jeans than how much money can I get off a new pair with the endless promotion codes flooding my inbox.     

Alice Clegg