8 great animated films

The Iron Giant

“One of the greatest Western animations not to hail from Disney/ Pixar or Dreamworks, The Iron Giant depicts a friendship between a boy and an innocent robot as they get caught up in a world of Cold War paranoia. It is heart-warming and heartbreaking, full of emotion and always entertaining.” – Joel Shelley

Moana

“Moana makes you want to go out and find your own cultural destiny. It’s a brilliant film that portrays a marginalised culture in the most endearing and unproblematic way; refreshing, especially coming from Disney. The soundtrack is the most glorious thing you’ll ever hear too!” – Beverly Devakishen

Up

“Not just within animation, this is one of the best films of all time and rightly became the second animated feature to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. In its first five minutes alone, it manages to reduce you to tears, whilst many films fail to make an impression in their entire runtime.” – Oscar D. Huckle

Chicken Run

“Aardman Animation’s first feature-length venture moulds The Great Escape into their own romp of British charm and wit. The use of stop-motion really adds a layer of tangibility to this dynamic world whilst capturing the essence of the more intimate moments. Powell’s score deserves a shoutout for realising the kazoo’s epic potential.” – Joem Opina

Yellow Submarine

“The Beatles must save Pepperland from the devilish “blue meanies”; it’s like nothing you’ve seen before. Bursting with wonderfully weird imagery and creatures, the film’s dry humour and great music create an all-round spectacle. This may be its 50th anniversary year, but Yellow Submarine hasn’t dated a day.” – Charlie Hunt

Inside Out

“Full of colour, full of depth, and full of ideas, it’s fair to say this is Pete Docter at his best. Didactic without being pretentious, emotional without being over-indulging, and a film so finely tuned, you can tell Pixar did their utmost to make this their greatest film yet.” – Tom Cascarini

World of Tomorrow

“Through the lens of a child we witness the life of her future clone. Stick figures potter about in a tale that explores the profundity of existence. The simplistic imagery allows the narrative to explore ideas pressing to our time, while also reflecting the inconceivable nature of the future of humanity.” – Helen Drumm

Mary & Max

“A hidden gem of Australian cinema, this black-and-white claymation spans the pen-friendship between young Mary Dinkle and a cantankerous chocolate addict with Asperger’s syndrome named Max. A touching exploration of loneliness, depression, neglect and alcoholism, it is a marvel of the macabre and bittersweet that will have you sobbing and laughing in equal measure.” – Liam Heitman-Rice

30/01/2018

animatedfilm