A look into UEA Sport performance as the semester draws to a close

Almost two months have passed since the start of competitive BUCS fixtures and it is safe to say that our University has started the 2021-2022 academic year strongly. 

Currently, UEA is ranked 40 out of 137 institutions in the BUCS table with 628 overall points. The Dodgeball team is our highest-scoring sports club so far with 63 BUCS points. Since the first semester is coming to an end, it would only be right to highlight some more of the team’s achievements.

The women’s Ultimate Frisbee team, captained by Alana Calne and Beckie Brazier, performed fantastically over their weekend at the indoor regionals event at the University of Hertfordshire. The team secured seventh after an intense final game against Cambridge which we won 5-4, qualifying for Division 2 Nationals in February. Their success completes UEA Ultimate’s 3-for-3 at mixed, men’s, and women’s indoor regionals this year, all qualifying for Nationals, the first time this has been achieved in eight years.

The Triathlon Club competed in the BUCS duathlon event in November. Their performance was remarkable considering over half the athletes had not done a multi-sport event before. UEA secured four men in the top 100 with Ben Allen being our fastest coming 78th. Two females came in the top two-thirds in a very competitive field, with Steph Callingham being the fastest of our females. 

The UEA Sailing team had a great performance at BUCS Fleet weekend (20/21 Nov), securing their first ever BUCS points. Pablo Bertran took second place in the laser class, Clare Peterson was fourth place in the firefly class, in slow handicap Sasha Tydeman took sixth and Steve Carver and Alice Bradford shared seventh.

Participation in non-BUCS competitions also brought some UEA success. Ballroom & Latin Dance Club placed in the top three across several dances including the jive, salsa, and rumba in the Leicester Friendly and Warwick competition, as the club now looks ahead to their competition schedule in 2022. 

Besides this, the weekend of 26th – 27th November saw UEA Gymnastics compete at the UGC hosted by Loughborough. In their first competition of 2021-2022, they came first in the women’s advanced group beam and bar.

As everyone knows UEA+SPORT is not only about competitions, it is also about different events for active students. Eight Ziggurat Challenges have been completed and the leaderboard sees a close contest, with BIO on top with 1168 points, followed by INTO and PSY/SWK/SOL with 1110 and 1082 points respectively.

The Active Campus programme has seen great engagement this semester. The Navigate Norfolk day trips have been fully booked most weekends with students enjoying the delights of the county including trips to Cromer and Thetford Forest. The weekly wellbeing dog walk has been popular and seen engagement each week from a range of students. Our furry friends have enjoyed all the cuddles too.

Besides this, UEA+SPORT is supporting Disability History Month and in November the Futsal, Netball, and Golf clubs all delivered inclusive sport sessions for visually impaired students. This included the use of visually impaired goggles which simulated the experience of playing sport with a visual impairment. Clubs received positive feedback and will be delivering more inclusive sessions in weeks to come in cooperation with Justin Hollingsworth, Student Inclusive Sport Intern, who was instrumental in working with clubs to organise these sessions and will be supporting more clubs to deliver inclusive sessions in 2022.

This semester UEA+SPORT launched its newest programme called Quest. Quest will lead you around our amazing campus, reaching checkpoints, collecting clues, and solving puzzles to win great prizes. Some Quests will also help highlight key campus hotspots such as study spaces, coffee shops, and the Student’s Union.

Thanks to the reduction of COVID restrictions we can gradually return to the normal course of life, active classes in the gym with our teams or just light walks in the park with friends. However, in our uncertain times, we cannot say what will happen tomorrow, so while there is such an opportunity we encourage you to participate in our events. It is not only healthy, but fun, exciting, and can be an opportunity to receive small but pleasant prizes. 

To always be aware of all the events follow UEA+SPORT’s Facebook and Instagram pages and do not miss opportunities to participate in as many events as possible!

07/12/2021

Victoria Todorova

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31