A love for love songs

Love songs are everywhere, and Valentine’s Day is no exception. However leading up to Valentine’s Day, where love is more seemingly in the air, they certainly stick out more and there does seem to be an increase in how often they are played.

This year, expect to hear the typical tunes, ‘I Will Always Love You’, ‘Make You Feel My Love’, ‘Can’t Help Falling In Love’, or anything else with the word love in the title blasted from every radio station. Some may deem these as the classic cringe songs that are overplayed every year, but I happen to think these songs hit differently every time I hear them. Each year as Valentine’s Day comes as goes, life changes. You meet new people, lose old friends, form deeper relationships, and I love relistening to these songs every year seeing how they apply to my life now.

Some I love more, some I love less, but I will always have time for love songs. When any artist sings about love, it is always coming from the heart, whether you deem the song good or not. When making music about something which makes you so vulnerable, and where you dig into such a personal element of life, this is always something that should be appreciated and applauded.

Whether it is a song which bravely declares love, or a song that shouts from the rooftops about how in love they are, this is beautiful. Everyone needs a little love in their life right now, so when you hear the same old songs you hear every year, don’t turn them off. Sit down, take a minute to listen, and think of someone you love.

If I were to create an upbeat Spotify playlist for Valentine’s Day, my highlight love songs would include Dua Lipa’s ‘Levitating’, MAX & SUGA’s ‘Blueberry Eyes’, Dove Cameron’s ‘We belong’, Yungblud’s ‘Cotton Candy’, Pop Smoke’s ‘What You Know Bout Love’, Surf Mesa and Emilee’s ‘ily (i love you baby)’ and Borns’ ‘Electric Love’. What would yours look like?

09/02/2021

Leia Butler

Leia Butler

March 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031