A new pathway to becoming a doctor for mature students in East Anglia

The University of Cambridge’s Institute of Continuing Education (ICE) is launching a new course aimed at recruiting adults from across East Anglia to study medicine.

ICE has worked with the medical schools at the University of Cambridge, the University of East Anglia and Anglia Ruskin University to develop a new pre-medical studies course to support mature students in East Anglia without the typical qualifications to retrain as a medic.

This course intends to create a pathway for mature students to become a doctor. This is particularly notable as mature students are underrepresented in medical school, despite usually possessing valuable experience from caring responsibilities, or experience with their own health, which prove useful in the medical profession. 

Dr Sue Madden, Admissions Director at Norwich Medical School at UEA commented, “This is an important new route to support adults to apply to medical school, which is recognised by the University of East Anglia. While it is a full-time course which will take a flexible approach and could be relevant to people already working in the health and care sectors, other community-facing roles or science-based disciplines”.

The course will be overseen by the University of Cambridge and is delivered in association with East Anglia’s three medical schools (Cambridge, University of East Anglia and Anglia Ruskin University). Upon completion of the one-year course, the students may have the opportunity to continue their studies at one of these three schools. Successful completion of the certificate does not guarantee entry into the medicine courses at University of Cambridge, Anglia Ruskin, or University of East Anglia, however the qualification is a recognised prerequisite for entry into all three schools.

A further intention of this course is to train adults from across East Anglia and increase the number of people local to the area going on to serve within the same community. 

Dr James Gazzard, Director of Continuing Education at ICE said, “The East of England has a shortage of doctors, particularly in areas of urban and coastal disadvantage. We also know there are many talented adults across this region, drawn from diverse communities who could become excellent doctors. This new qualification has been developed to help overcome the barriers mature students face when seeking to change careers into the medical field”.

The CertHE in Pre-Medical Studies, resulting in a University of Cambridge qualification, will begin from Autumn 2022, and those interested in pursuing the qualification can apply now.

The entry requirements for applicants are that they must hold six GCSEs at grade B or higher (including mathematics, English language, and science) and will be able to demonstrate a patient-focused outlook during the interview process.

08/02/2022

Una Jones

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031