A Night of Wonders by Headucate.

Headucate have announced they are hosting UEA’s first ever charity gala called ‘A Night of Wonders’ later this month on 27 February, in the LCR.  The night will feature performances from multiple UEA societies including, UEA Ballet, UEA Angels, UEA Headlights comedy, UEA Burlesque, UEA Latin social Dance Society, UEA Music Society, UEA Bellydance, UEA Tap, UEA Dance Squad and musical performances by UEA Live Music and UEA Show choir.  

The event will also host a raffle with amazing prizes. Some of the prizes include books signed by Stephen Fry and Ian McEwan. Those who attend the gala will also be able to ‘name a teddy with Nightline’ and indulge upon a variety of foods and refreshments at the event. The event will also have some of UEA’s own brilliant drag queens, some extremely talented henna artists, marvellous magicians, and some photographers to capture memories from the evening.  

Norwich Nightline, UEA photography and UEA sexpression will also be attending the event to spread awareness for wellbeing on campus.  

Doors open at 6.30pm with a dress code of ‘dress to impress’. Standard tickets are £5 which includes snacks, soft drinks and a seat in the audience, but if you would like optional henna, a roaming magician and a line of raffle tickets then there’s a ticket option for £7.50.  

Tory Selwyn, President of Headucate told Concrete, “Beat are the UK’s leading eating disorder charity. These are terrible illnesses which can affect absolutely anyone and can take over a person’s life. Headucate is an ever-growing society on campus with the sole aim of raising awareness around Mental Health issues. We initially targeted school students aged 12-18, running workshops surrounding mental wellbeing and some of the common conditions. Now the conversation surrounding Mental Health has arrived on campus and so have we! Eating disorders are so common at university, it can be a completely invisible illness so there are people around you who you may know suffering in silence. 

The Headucate committee has been working hard planning since last summer to create an elegant night of fun. ‘Night of Wonders’ Gala will celebrate the incredible talent here at UEA with over 10 performing and charity & campaigns societies coming together to raise money and awareness; we will enjoy performances from UEA Drag Queens, Burlesque, Standup Comedy, Ballet, Tap, Showchoir, Jazz orchestra and many more! We’ll also be holding a fabulous raffle with prizes including signed books by Stephen Fry & Ian McEwan, photoshoots, theatre, bowling, food & drink vouchers and MUCH MORE. All proceeds will be going to Beat.” 

11/02/2020

Jess Barrett