Gaming

A Review of Halo Infinite

Following Halo Infinite’s surprise early multiplayer release on the 20th anniversary of Xbox and Halo, on November 15, it’s fair to say the game is off to a great start. 

Everyone has free access to multiplayer, which includes a ranked arena, quickplay and big team battle modes. The ranked playlist is already a success with all the rules, modes and maps planned by pro players prior to release. It is certainly a challenge in the top ranks with Halo veterans who are desperate to compete but it’s a lot of fun, nonetheless. The game also launched with all the tools to support the competitive scene and reached record level numbers of participants for the first Halo Championship online tournament. The gameplay is incredibly fun with lots of innovative features while still retaining the classic halo feel which is perfect for new and old halo fans. 

Currently, the biggest downside to the game is the current progression system with the only type of progression being through the battle pass. The only way to progress through this is with weekly challenges as well as gaining a measly 50xp per game. This means, if there are no weekly challenges available, it will take 20 games to go up 1 level, which is difficult. At the same time, there is no in-game XP progression or progression outside of the battle pass, making the ‘100 points’ that you earn per kill almost completely pointless. Compared to the Master Chief Collections’ fun and easy-to-earn XP system, Halo Infinite’s system is embarrassing. 

Thankfully, the developers have already addressed this issue and are eagerly responding to feedback from the community with improvements to the progression system being made within the first few days of release. Another thing that people are becoming impatient for is the addition of more game modes into their own playlist rather than having to search for just quickplay, which is a playlist that contains multiple game modes.

The campaign releases on 8 December and some people in the Halo community who have early access are saying that it might already be their new favourite campaign experience. This is largely due to the freedom to explore and play the game the way that you want to, unlike previous Halo campaigns which were on a level-by-level basis. The soundtrack is also beautiful and perfectly balanced with the old and new themes.

Overall, Halo Infinite’s gameplay is outstanding and it’s undeniably an artistic masterpiece which is very refreshing for Halo fans after 6 years since Halo 5’s release. Once the progression system is improved, additional game modes are added, and the campaign is released the game will certainly be a serious contender for game of the year.

07/12/2021

Joe Dugdale

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31