Landmark moment for house building in Norwich

For the first time in over 20 years the building of affordable homes in Norwich is underway. The houses, under construction at Pointers field, represent the first milestone in Norwich City Council’s commitment to build 250 homes across the city over the next five years.

4557832654_e93ae13a5c_o

The £700,000 scheme, due to finish in September 2014, is working under a pilot ‘self-build’ scheme. Under the scheme, the dwellings will be built to 90 per cent completion whereby incoming residents will have a range of options available to finish the build themselves. Alternatively purchasers could buy the building services of the main contractor, potentially reducing the overall purchase price.

A ‘shared ownership’ scheme also underpins the project, helping to bridge the gap for individuals unable to purchase a home outright on the open market.

The leader of the Labour run Council, Brenda Arthur, said: “It’s fantastic to be here today to mark this historic occasion as we begin construction on what we hope will be the first of many much, affordable council owned homes for the city.”

She added: “The inclusion of one bedroom flats within the scheme are vital in helping us tackle the impact that welfare reforms are having on those in the greatest hardship across the city.”

Councillor Mike Stonard, portfolio holder for environment, development and transport, said: “I’m delighted to witness this resurgence in the building of council owned homes at a time when they are needed more than ever and even more pleased that our first scheme will benefit my local community”.

25/02/2014

andrewansell

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930