Music, Venue

ALBUM REVIEW: Captain Accident – Bad Press

Cardiff based musician, Captain Accident, has returned with his fourth studio album, Bad Press, set to be released on August 20. 

Over the past decade, Captain Accident has risen to become a household name within the reggae scene. Touring across the UK and Europe has allowed him to perform at festival giants Glastonbury and Boomtown. 

Comprising of ten tracks, the album blends reggae and ska with the odd touch of rock. The soundscape is rich with the trademarks of the reggae sound on Bad Press. The head nodding beats allow Captain to float through the album with politically and socially conscious lyrics that are filled with poetic song writing. 

The inclusion of rock works well on this record with tracks such as, ‘Not The End of The World’ and ‘Miami Incoming’. While introducing a welcomed merge of genre, they don’t disrupt from the relaxed feel of each track. The piano piece that closes the album also strays from the ska roots of Bad Press and allows a chance for the listener to reflect on the album. 

The highlight of the album has to be ‘Dark n Stormy’, an ode to Captain’s favourite cocktail of the same name. The chorus, “you put a little rum in your cup, fizzy ginger take a sip” is infectious and guaranteed to stay in your head for the rest of the day. With a track that celebrates Captain’s ideal rum infused drink, what more could you want from Captain Accident?

Captain Accident’s lead single ‘Wings’ from his latest album is available to stream.

17/08/2021

Tom Manning

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930