Albums of 2012: Alt-J – An Awesome Wave

A year ago you probably hadn’t heard of Alt-J (maybe you did and you’re really cool and I would like to be your friend) but now, the geometry loving quartet are certainly on your radar. Love them or hate them, you can’t argue against the fact that Alt-J have had one hell of a year.

Their debut album An Awesome Wave went to the top 20 albums on iTunes instantly, and when you listen to the album, it’s easy to see why. The genre of the album remains disputed, mainly because they throw just about every influence and genre in there. Blending so many varying influences in a single album is no easy feat, however Alt-J manage to pull off the maneuver seamlessly.

Many have pointed out the similarities to Radiohead, and the band have admitted that In Rainbows had a direct influence when making An Awesome Wave – it shows. The album plays with up beat indie-pop tunes such as Dissolve Me and darker, sexier beats like Tesselate and Fitzpleasure, but somehow always manages to sound distinctly their own, which the band credits to their lead singer Joe’s incredibly distinctive, throaty vocals.

Going from viral internet sensation that ‘had that cool name that made a triangle on your Mac’ to fully fledged, Mercury award winning superstars that folk veterans Mumford and Sons covered in the Radio One Live Lounge, the weird and wonderful Alt-J have successfully dominated the music scene of 2012.

04/12/2012

larsoncampbell

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31