Albums of 2013 – #6 – Foals – Holy Fire

With a three year gap between Foals’ second and third studio album, the wait for Holy Fire has been a long one, and it was always going to have to be something pretty special to top Total Life Forever.

Holy_Fire_II

However, extensive touring and lengthy hours in the studio from the British Indie rock band seem to have paid off for them and their third album was well worth the wait when released in February 2013.

Their fan base, although large and devoted prior to the album’s release, has grown significantly since Holy Fire, particularly with their heavy presence on the festival circuit in the summer of 2013.

Lead single ‘Inhaler’ was aired near the end of 2012 and is a powerful number that enticed fans, creating excitement and anticipation for the album’s release. The single showcases Foals slightly edgier new sound, heavier than seen before in Total Life Forever. With other highlights such as ‘My Number’ its lyrics ‘You don’t have my number, we don’t need each other now’ are sure to have been stuck in listeners’ heads for weeks on end after the album’s release, not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to Foals. ‘Late Night’ is also a gem within the album, providing softer listening compared to the rougher and harder sound of much of the rest of the album.

There is something about the hypnotic feel to the rhythmic songs that require them to be played at full volume, in order to fully immerse ones self in the spectacular spidery sounds of the guitars. This is music that would well and truly get a room moving, the vocals of frontman Yannis Phillapakkis draw the listener in and for that Holy Fire deserves its place in the top albums of 2013.

14/01/2014

laurahiggins