It’s pretty hard to believe that Ryan Murphy, the man responsible for Glee is also co-creator of one of the darkest, strangest, and downright terrifying shows on TV.

American Horror Story had a killer first season so it had a lot to live up to with its second and thankfully the pilot did not disappoint.

It starts with Adam Levine (yes, Maroon 5 frontman and coach on The Voice US) and Jenna Dewan (Step Up) exploring the abandoned mental institution as part of their horror-based honeymoon.

But of course things don’t go as planned when someone, or something, attacks them in the dark. This is just the opening sequence but it’s full of screams and gore, which sets the tone for the rest of the episode.

Then comes the actual story of Briarcliffe Aslyum. A place for inmates ran by the Catholic church, the place instantly feels creepy, like you’re never quite sure when something is going to jump out at you from the dark.

Each inmate has a fascinating story that’ll keep you watching, never mind the two biggest mysteries don’t belong to the inmates – Sister Jude and Doctor Arden. These are two sinister, opposing forces who are bound to come to blows later episodes.

Reusing actors from the first season in other roles was a risky move and a real test of their abilities. It almost goes without saying that Jessica Lange – the permanently creepy Constance in season 1 – is fantastic as Sister Jude, the one responsible for running Briarcliffe.

Evan Peters also takes another character, a man accused of killing and skinning women though he says he isn’t guilty. This also works as his character isn’t as menacing as Tate so gives Peters room to flex his acting muscles outside of the crazy psychopath we knew him as.

So the first episode of American Horror Story: Asylum won’t disappoint. It keeps up the creepy atmosphere from the opening moments throughout, creating a sustained feeling that anything could jump out from the corner of the screen and kill you horribly. Maybe keep the lights on for the next episode.

Tune in if you dare, Tuesday’s at 10pm on FX.