The dust has settled on what is quite possibly the most anticipated mobile device of 2015. The question is whether or not the iPhone 6s lives up to its expectations as a market leader and if it truly is worth breaking your student bank accounts to upgrade from your current phone.

Aesthetically speaking, the iPhone 6s is not exactly an upgrade to last year’s iPhone 6; however, once we delve further into the new iPhone we really do see this is not the case. A noteworthy point is the fact that the new iPhone comes in a new rose gold colour, and, like the iPhone 5s from 2013, this new colour helps tip the weighing scales in its favour. The ‘s’ editions traditionally don’t build much more on their predecessors visually but offer new colours and internal upgrades to compensate.

The iPhone 6s really does represent a step into the future, which hasn’t been the case with iPhones of recent times. It is great to find that there have been increases in RAM to two gigabytes. iPhones have never been slouches, in fact iOS has always helped to flatten out any dissapointment that would come with middle range specifications and now that Apple have juiced up the internals, users can more than ever enjoy what the iPhone has to offer. It also goes to show that specifications are not the be all and end all (the iPhone 6s has a new A9 processor clocked at 1.8GHz, this is the sort of level of 2013’s Samsung Galaxy S4 which clocked in at 1.9 GHz, however as explained earlier the iPhone 6s truly provides us with a flagship experience through iOS being customised around the iPhone’s specs, which is not the case with most android devices).

The camera has been a real step up, a true upgrade from eight megapixels to 12 megapixels, and this is notable from the get go. The iPhone 6s allows for users to enjoy 4k and the increase helps users not feel as if they are stuck with a phone from 2012.

The new iPhone 6s also brings ‘3D Touch’ which at first appears to be a minor gimmick but this truly is not the case. 3D touch works through the pressure of your fingers, with users being able to preview emails for example without having to open emails (Apple are quick to stress that we should call this ‘Peak and Pop’). 3D Touch is yet to be fully utilised and probably won’t be utilised completely until the iPhone 7, but it helps give us a sneak peek into the future.

Unfortunately, it is not plain sailing for Apple, with one major issue being the battery life on the iPhone. What may come as a disappointment, but by no means a surprise, is not only a lack of increase in the battery, but infact a small decrease from 1810mAh to 1715mAh. With so many new features in what is effectively the same body as last year’s iPhone 6, it was expected that Apple would have to make compromises somewhere, although as a downgrade it is a disappointment to say the least, with other devices having upwards of 3000mAh.

The real question to us is whether or not the iPhone 6s warrants the £539 price tag. New features such as 3D touch shape the path to what the future holds in mobile devices, however, I feel that compared to the iPhone 6 the features are not substantial enough to warrant a upgrade. At the same time I do feel that anyone coming from an iPhone 5s or older would appreciate the changes made by Apple over the last two years. The iPhone 6s will, without a doubt, be a hit; however it is fundamentally down to you whether the iPhone 6S is worthwhile or if android devices appeal more.