Books, Venue

Angie Thomas: unapologetic and utterly brilliant

Angie Thomas, one of the most prominent authors of the last few years, has skyrocketed to fame and recognition in the literary world, following the publication of her 2017 debut novel The Hate U Give. Spending a grand total of 50 weeks at the top of The New York Times Best Sellers list, Thomas’s masterpiece documents Starr, a young Black girl who witnesses the murder of her unarmed friend at the hands of a white police officer. 

The discussion of issues facing Black Americans every day such as code switching, being stopped by police, murder and systemic injustice is reflected in an unapologetic and raw manner, which is easily digestible for its young adult audience. As a Black woman herself, Thomas speaks from a place of hurt and anger, taking inspiration from murders she had seen in the media without proper justice, amplifying Starr’s fictional voice and allowing her work to resonate with millions. 

Thomas’s work, The Hate U Give in particular, is utterly brilliant and an important read for anyone looking to educate themselves on the Black experience. Her second novel, On The Come Up, was released in 2019 and her third, Concrete Rose (a prequel to The Hate U Give with Starr’s father as the protagonist) is due for release in January 2021.

04/08/2020

Sam Hewitson

Sam Hewitson

Travel Editor - 2019/20

Editor-In-Chief - 2020/21