We’re almost there, as Jess writes in her Deputy Editorial column today. Applications for the next Editor-in-Chief and Deputy will soon close, and now only one more issue remains of the semester. I doubt anyone expected we’d be in a lockdown, many of us away from UEA, taking classes online. 

Yet even though we’re away, university life continues to an extent, and that’s something our main story todaybrushes on. The SU are still looking for additional funding. In February we reported Uea(su) could go bust “in a few years”. Now it seems it could be a few months. 

Just as the SU are saying, this is a crisis. Although UEA are legally obliged to have some sort of student union, it doesn’t have to be in its current format. It could just be two people at a desk with a pair of phones. 

Whether or not you agree with some of the SU’s more controversial decisions, it’s fairly undeniable that without the SU students’ experience of UEA could be severely altered. A room with two phones would hardly any room for campaigns, society funding, or the level of SU support and advice we’re used to. 

If the SU runs out of cash, it’s unlikely the LCR, bar or SU Shop will shut down. Another organisation would likely take it over. Perhaps the University even would. But students would be affected on a massive scale. Societies would lose all their money, and may not receive funding in future. It would be very likely many societies shut down. All the SU needs is for the University to step in.

But it’s not all doom and gloom. Of course not – you have another entire issue of Concrete to read!

From Emily Kelly’s article Studying, stockpiling and social distancingto Dolly Carter’s piece on the first digital Earth Daywe have whole range of articles for you to get your teeth into. And aside from uni work and realising this lockdown really isn’t a holiday… you have no excuse! So get reading, and let us know what you think of the issue on social media.