TV

Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway – Returns

Last Saturday saw the return of perfect Saturday night viewing with the much loved Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway.

Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway - Returns

The show began with a bang, quite literally, with a gag involving fireworks, and all of the glitzy gimmicks we so missed. Everything was seamlessly topical, relevant and downright hilarious, its great strength being the way they embraced how long they have been away for and played upon it.

The most memorable sketch from previous series is undoubtedly Little Ant and Dec. They provided comedy gold with their adorable faces as they made A-list celebrities squirm with their innocently probing questions. Unfortunately, the boys are no longer very little, and little Ant now has a receding hairline. Hence the twosome set about recruiting a Little Little Ant and Dec, in a very cute The Apprentice meets Cbeebies sketch.

Another favourite has to be Ant vs Dec, where they compete in a variety of challenges, revealed live on the night, each week. Ashley Greene of the Pussycat Dolls is now presenting the segment, as revenge for the jungle celebrities. The first match of the series saw the boys clambering along a pole off the ITV building to retrieve a flag. Dec looked terrified and Ant was victorious. Here hoping the producers are starting as they mean to go on with hair raising challenges.

How could you forget, the game the show counts down to, “Don’t just watch the ads, win them!” The setup remains unchanged here, an audience member is randomly selected by the “super-computer” (amazing in a Geordie accent), and answers a series of questions to win the adverts from a recent ITV show. This is still a brilliant concept, with live audience participation at its best.

Alongside our old favourites are some fantastic new sections. A personal favourite will have to be “I’m a celebrity, get out me ear!” This week saw Louis Walsh invite three builders to his house, under the guise of needing some work done. Whilst there, Louis had to say everything that the boys instructed him to, through an earpiece. This made for laugh-out-loud, tears-rolling-down-your-face TV.

As expected, the show is constantly entertaining and easy to watch. David Walliams and Robbie Williams were this week’s perfect celebrity guests, making this very much a family show, with the right amount of comedy, and some eye candy for the Mums. The presence of the live studio audience makes the whole thing feel like one big laugh with two of your oldest mates at the helm. It has all of the cheekiness and just the right amount of cheesiness that we love the duo for. Set to be even bigger and better than previous series.

Watch it on ITV Player.

05/03/2013

jessbeech

November 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930