Antibiotic dry spell may be over

Researchers have discovered 25 new antibiotics after developing a new technique for growing bacteria. Bacteria are abundant in soil – most of the bacteria currently used to make antibiotics are from the soil – but previously only a very small number could be grown in the laboratory. However, using this new method, it is thought that scientists will be able to grow nearly half of all soil bacteria.

This new method involves a device with many “rooms”; each for a single bacterium, which when placed in the soil allows the permeation of unique soil chemical conditions whilst limiting the bacterial motility. These microbes then produce chemicals that can be analysed for their antimicrobial promise.

These newly discovered antibiotics are the first to come to light since 1987, highlighting how significant the drought has been for new drugs to tackle infection. One antibiotic in particular that has shown great promise- is teixobactin. Tests have shown it is toxic to gram-positive bacteria with no mammalian tissue damage. It is also effective enough to clear MRSA from test mice. It works by targeting cell wall fats in the bacteria with a slim chance of resistance and it is soon to enter human trials.

Dr James Mason from King’s College London said: “It’s impressive what they’ve done. From one soil sample they’ve found one new antibiotic, and their approach opens up a new route to a huge number of potential products. One of the most exciting aspects is that a vast array of new bacteria can be screened”.

Prof Mark Woolhouse from the University of Edinburgh said: “What most excites me is the tantalising prospect that this discovery is just the tip of the iceberg.”

This is a very significant step forward because with microbial resistance becoming more prevalent, we are running out of effective drugs to combat them. This could lead to many previously treatable infections becoming impossible to cure. It is therefore vital for research such as this to be one of our foremost concerns moving forward in medical science.

13/01/2015

jacobbeebe Going into his 2nd year of his Biomedicine degree, Jacob plans to spend his time in the hive huddled around a cuppa’ - more than likely sporting a befuddled expression on his face. Aside from his studies he is a guitarist, saxophonist and a budding drummer. Previously a committed Environment writer, he aims to make the newly formed Science and Environment section an interesting new addition to Concrete.

April 2021
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930