TV

Anticipated Autumn Arrivals

His Dark Materials: Season 2

I don’t watch a lot of television. I have certain shows I adore and very few I actively keep up with and religiously watch, so anticipating a premiere is almost unheard of for me. The unbearable wait until November for the second season of ‘His Dark Materials’ therefore shows perfectly how incredible this series is.

Season One was a lockdown binge for me, and it emotionally destroyed me, to then build me back up again, only to destroy me once more. My favourite thing about the show, and ultimately the one factor why I am desperate to have it back on my screen, is the incredible cast. All the actors suit their roles perfectly, the diversity is great, and my post-Hamilton obsession with Lin Manuel Miranda drew me in to watch the show. Andrew Scott also joins the cast for Season Two, so there are very few ways the show can get any better from this point in my eyes.

I am also excited to see where the story goes with the second series. As it is based mostly on the second book in the ‘His Dark Materials’ trilogy, ‘The Subtle Knife’, I do not know anything that’s coming up, so the mystery of it all is keeping me on the edge of my seat.

The Boys: Season 2

Friday 4 September saw the release of season two of The  a day early, fans could not be more buzzed for Season Two of the American superhero action-thriller series. Delightfully gory and packed with dark comedy and dramatic twists, the show, based on the graphic novel of the same name, follows the wild and messy journey of the anti-hero vigilante group known as The Boys.

Led by the rebellious and charming Billy Butcher, they aim to expose the truth behind the idealised super-heroes, the Seven, who are owned and marketed by the corrupt organisation Vought and led by the most evil, sociopathic ‘supe’ of them all, Homelander. With a new bold and crazy season that delves deeper into the concepts of super-humanity, morality, politics and greed, this show will surprise you in the strangest of ways. Although we can only binge-watch so much, with the first few episodes of Season Two available to watch now on Amazon Prime Video and the rest of the episodes to be released weekly, being able to savour each episode as it comes should be just as satisfyingly sweet.

The Mandalorian: Season 2

Season Two of Star Wars’ first live-action series ‘The Mandalorian’ may as well be named “The return of Baby Yoda”. The stuff of internet legend, Baby Yoda, known in the show as ‘the child’, took over social media after the release of the first season in November 2019. The show earned 15 Emmy nominations, including outstanding drama series and visual effects.

Season Two is due to begin October 30 on Disney+, as filming finished in March 2020, narrowly missing incoming lockdown measures. Pre-production has begun on a third season, with the production design department beginning work on April 20. Creator Jon Favreau confirmed the pandemic will not cause a significant delay to the third series.

It is hoped the second season will tie up loose ends when it comes to Baby Yoda’s future and the history of the Mandalorians. Boba Fett, a clone of Mandalorian Jango Fett, is also due to feature, after a first appearance in Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back (1980), as one of the bounty hunters hired by Darth Vader to capture Han Solo.

The Mandalorian gained Disney’s streaming service around 50 million subscribers..

22/09/2020

Sam Hewitson, Lily Boag and Dolly Carter