Armed Forces Society approved

The UEA Armed Forces Society was approved by union council on Thursday 18 October, despite the objections of some council members.

The stated role of the Armed Forces Society is: “the promotion of the relevance and ethos of the British armed forces in today’s society, providing students with skills in practical leadership and management to increase their employability.”

The society was approved in union council following a significant vote in favour of the proposal, with the motion passed by a majority of two to one.

The presence of the Officer Training Corps, University Royal Naval Unit and University Air Squadron on campus will remain unchanged. They are not affiliated to the union or university, but are permitted to recruit and advertise at Freshers Fair.

Opposers of the society argued that its approval would contravene the union’s anti-war policy. Meanwhile supporters of the motion disputed these claims, citing the demand for an Armed Forces Society amongst UEA students.

Proposer for the motion Andrew Livesey welcomed the outcome of the vote, saying that “the society will form an official communications link between the union and external groups.”

23/10/2012

phillipthomas

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Armed Forces Society approved”

1. War is a matter for states, not armed forces. If they believe this contravenes the Union’s anti-war policy, they should have second thoughts about allowing UEA’s Labour and Conservative Party societies.

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031