Climate Change, Editor's column

Asking the important questions about climate change

This year, Concrete have made a commitment to ensuring accurate, timely, and consistent climate change coverage. In the context of the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26), we believe that issue #382 is exploring the important questions about sustainability, conservation, and climate science.

This year, we have introduced a ‘Climate Change Corner’ to our Science section, which is overseen by our Science Editor Mariam Jallow. Thus far, this has included an interview with Dr Jeff Price on his upcoming talk at the Norwich Science Festival, an interview with PhD student Aayushi Awasthy on her podcast ‘Why haven’t we solved Climate Change Yet?’, and, this issue, focusses upon coverage of a talk delivered by four UEA Climate scientists answering the question: ‘Are we heading for extinction?’

We have also been reporting on climate-related issues in a range of other sections, including pieces on Extreme E changing the face of motorsport, sustainable coffee being offered on campus, greenwashing in the textile industry, and a contribution to our ‘Global Investigates’ series questioning whether the EU are exporting the climate crisis abroad. Our Breaking News team have also been hard at work offering updates on the most pressing stories, covering deadly record-breaking temperatures in Canada, the “code red” IPCC report, and scorching heatwaves in the Pacific Northwest.

Coverage of Norwich Science Festival has also begun and this year, we’re sending a whole host of writers to report on the events. Look out for write-ups of the ‘Hello Future Fashion’ workshop, the Cli-Fi children’s fiction talk, and an exploration of the impacts of climate change on Norfolk’s biodiversity in both this and next issue!

Personally, I got to know the faces behind UEA’s COP26 Festival in the Interview section of this issue. Festival Director, Ekaterina Dudakova, and organisers Charlie Bench and Meg Watts discussed their personal stories with the environment, the events taking place in the festival, and the lasting impact they hope to have upon UEA’s attitude toward climate change.

Concrete are also delighted to be teaming up with UEA to deliver the Report for the Future climate journalism program. As part of ClimateUEA, a university-wide initiative bringing all of UEA’s climate research and innovation activities together, Project Change aims to work with young people across the region to inspire, inform, and equip them with the tools they need to understand the complexities of climate change. Report for the Future is a chance to ensure young voices are heard in the climate change debate by helping young people to become subject experts on COP26. Concrete are helping with this by being on-call to help them produce their reports throughout the duration of COP26 and I’m delivering virtual media training to all participants!

Please join us in our commitment to the climate through accurate, timely, and consistent coverage – let’s ask the important questions about climate change.

26/10/2021

Dolly Carter

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031