Featured Posts, News

Attempted robbery at UEA

An attempted robbery occurred at UEA at approximately 20:30 on 2nd December. Several masked men tried to rob the ATM in the Hive but, after failing to do so they tried to escape. The Eastern Daily Press reports that there are three men in custody.

874923235

Photo: EDP

The hooded men, aged 18, 33 and 37, drove in with a black SUV from the turnaround of the Congregation Hall, hitting the Hive door that faces the square. The police were notified moments after this happened. Two of the men attempted to obtain cash from the machine.

With the law enforcement hot on their trail, the robbers had to abandon their mission and try to escape via the road from the Congregation Hall, but were quickly cornered by an incoming police vehicle. In a botched attempt to manoeuvre their way out, they hit a Skoda parked in front of the LCR. After consecutively hitting another police car and a lamp post, the men dumped their car and ran across the field facing Nelson Court.

UEA student Jenny Liu says she witnessed a car appear in front of the doors while she was at the bar. Seconds later two men with white hoodies barged in the Union House and rushed to the ATM for about 5 seconds before a loud boom could be heard echoing through the building. Immediately after that they hightailed it out of the Hive and the drove away with the car.

Amdac Kaya, a student smoking outside the bar, saw the whole thing. He said: “I heard a big sound of crash and I saw a car hit the wall outside the hive. Two masked man were trying to steal the cash machine. However, they left the cash machine on the floor. So, we called the police and told them the situation.”

The three men are currently being questioned by police detectives. The cash machine was recovered along with a crowbar which is believed to have been used during the incident.

03/12/2013

dianatamyanov

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3