Attendance monitoring policy set

The Union of UEA students has amended its policy on attendance monitoring to back a system that it believes is supportive rather than punitive towards students.

Under current plans students from 2013 would face a stricter attendance system, introduced by the University as a means to improve overall academic performance. Those that failed their module and had over 20% recorded absence would be unable to re-sit any work, and in the case of compulsory modules would not be allowed to continue at University.

The Union originally opposed the planned attendance monitoring in any form, but has redefined its stance to back a system it believes is fairer to students.
Speaking to Concrete, Union Community and Student Rights officer Sam Clark explained: “The change in policy regarding attendance monitoring demonstrates the Union’s belief that students should be supported in their learning.

“The University should be able to identify people with poor attendance in order to find out why they aren’t engaging with their studies, whether it be because of health issues or poor teaching quality. Attendance monitoring should not, however, be used to punish students who are already struggling. Failing your class is punishment enough; the University should not then also take away your right to retake.”

The changes were voted through at a Union Council meeting on 1 November, with the Union resolving to support the University in implementing an amended system.

06/11/2012

sophiewitts

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3