Fashion

Autumn reinvention – back to black

The turning of the Autumn leaves ushers in a sense of reinvention, a chance to start fresh and, in the case of your sartorial choices, rejuvenate your wardrobe.

holly

Photo: Jacob Roberts-Kendall

As inevitable as Freshers Flu, the Grunge look is back for the tail-end of this year; so to make sure you stay in the fashion loop this winter, here are three outfit ideas inspired by our scruffy nineties predecessors. Your tough new look will have you kicking butt and taking names.

Girl Gone Grunge
Grunge style is all about defying expectations and (in the words of Dewey Finn from ‘School of Rock’)“sticking it to the man.” To fully embrace the trend, take a dress or skirt in an ultra-feminine fabric or print – think velvet or lace. Pair it with a shabby oversized cardigan and some combat boots for some vintage Drew Barrymore-inspired flair.
Extra badass points for pairing this look with ripped or laddered tights (also a great excuse to avoid shelling out for a new pair).

Dressing Down
Mothers are always insisting we wrap up warm in the winter months, so to appease our fretful caregivers (and because student housing is famously freezing), this look focuses on layering. Take a plain vest-top or t-shirt in a dark, wintry hue and pair it with a plaid shirt, worn undone or tied around your waist. Throw a leather jacket over it for warmth and texture, wear with ripped skinny jeans for added interest, and let your most beaten-up trainers provide comfort and shabby style. To complete the look, add a warm beanie – a lifesaver if you didn’t have time to style your hair!

Heading to a Dive Bar
This next look is great for an evening out at a gig or club. Pick up some shorts with some interesting texture like studs or velvet. Team those with an old band t-shirt, knotted at the waist. Then throw on some vampy suspender-print tights with some comfy creepers or high Jeffrey Campbells depending on your preference.

Grunge looks are emphasized by adding clunky or awkward looking accessories, particularly in footwear, like bright patent Dr. Martens. Feel free to put comfort over style. Add an ironic flower crown for a brave statement piece and some skull rings for sartorial contrast; for modesty or warmth go for a cool military jacket to finish off the ensemble.

08/10/2013

rachelhayllor

February 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728