Autumn Films to Curl Up To This Month

So, it’s officially autumn! That time of year when you can put on cosy coats and walk with a pumpkin spiced latte amongst the falling leaves. Or, when it’s a rainy day and you want a film to curl up to. So, I’ve got some suggestions for every genre over this season, from cult-classic Halloween films, to seasonal-rom-coms!

The first movie I’d recommend for the drama-lovers out there is 1998’s Step Mom. I only recently watched this movie when looking for autumn films, and I fell in love. This is a loving family drama set over the autumn months, and it stars Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon. It focuses on the relationship between a terminally ill mother, Jackie, coming to terms with her divorced husband’s new fiancée, Isabel, and the prospect of her raising Jackie’s children after she dies. There are some tender and hilarious moments in this movie, but this is your warning to bring some tissues!

2017’s Get Out is what I’d class as perfect Halloween Horror, something that will properly scare you with both jump scares and its questions around race and equality, which is important over this Black History Month. It focuses on an interracial couple, Chris and Rose, played by Daniel Kaluuya and Allison Williams respectively, and a weekend where Chris meets Rose’s parents. Initially, Chris feels slightly uneasy about being the only black man there at a house party, aside from the black staff members, but what occurs over that weekend is nothing short of terrifying.

For those among you who aren’t a horror fan, I have the perfect movie to curl up with: When Harry Met Sally, starring Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal. This is the kind of film I’d want to put on when it’s a rainy Sunday afternoon and I’ve got a bowl of butternut squash soup in my hands. The classic 1989 rom-com is a veritable love-letter to autumn and follows the story of two graduates who, after a short-lived friendship, find each other again five years later. The backdrop of a golden brown New York is enough to make you want to book a flight to New York in the autumn. 

Another arguably important trait of an autumn movie is for it to take place over Halloween. And there’s only one I will be watching when the 31st October comes round: Hocus Pocus. Yes, this camp cult classic about three 17th Century witches, Winnifred, Mary and Sarah ,played by Bette Middler, Kathy Majimy and Sarah Jessica Parker respectively, who are brought back to life after 400 years to present day 1993 Salem, will never manage to not make me smile. It’s jam-packed with classic lines, characters and I Put A Spell On You will be stuck in your head for days after. You can’t beat the classics, and that’s why it’s on this recommendation list!

So whether you want to be tricked or treated this season, grab some popcorn and cosy up to some, or all, of these great movies!

26/10/2021

Hamilton Brown

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930