Fashion, OldVenue

Autumn Jackets: the ins and outs of autumnal outerwear

With the blistering autumn winds creeping in and the cold crisp mornings becoming an ever more prominent feature, now is the perfect time to stock up on some new jackets. If you’re stuck for inspiration for your new autumn wardrobe, or if you’re struggling to part with that old hoodie you’ve had since high school, then never fear, we have some solutions for you.

Capes
Easy to slip on, comfortable, cosy, and available in a variety of colours and styles (tartan can look particularly season appropriate), the cape could be your answer to your jacket conundrum. Capes look best paired with slim-line jeans or with bare legs (if you’re brave enough!) and boots for that autumnal look. Beware though. Your arms may get chilly (perhaps wear with a long sleeve), it can be difficult to balance an over the shoulder bag and if you get a size too big you can look like you have stepped out in a duvet.

Blazer
If it’s just a little bit chilly, a blazer could be your way to go. The great thing about blazers is that they can be structured, fitted and even casual, like the boyfriend fit. Blazers can instantly make an outfit look smarter, so are a great choice if you want to create a more stylish edge to your outfit, whilst remaining comfortable and elegant. Pair with a turtle-neck jumper or top, a sheer shirt or blouse and you’re good to go. The only downside is depending on the fabric it can be quite impractical to wear. Unless you layer with another jacket on top, or multiple layers underneath, you may struggle to keep warm.

Gilet [fur or fringe]
Autumn is by far the season of the gilet. Faux fur gilets are definitely bang on trend, and they have the benefit of being cosy and can add another texture to your overall look. A tonal fur or feather-look gilet looks best paired with a simple colour top (black, white, beige, camel), especially if the gilet is multi-coloured or a statement piece. The fringed gilet is also another option, and these often come in interesting fabrics like suede. The problem with gilets in general is the lack of sleeves, as it does a great job of keeping your core warm but not much else. Also, if it starts raining and you’ve forgotten your umbrella, be prepared to fuse into a giant, damp, fluffy mess.

Bomber Jacket
If you are looking for something simpler, the bomber jacket might be the right fit. If you like something with a unique touch, get one with a fur collar or embroidered detailing (there’s also some that come in suede; you’ve been warned). Bomber jackets are essentially the equivalent of a fancy hoodie. With handy pockets, comfortable lining and still possessing a little bit of shine that says “I put at least 2% more effort than usual into getting ready”, the bomber jacket is the suitable alternative. No risk of getting your arms cold here. The only negative is if you are quite tall, the bomber jacket can sit at an awkward angle and look a little odd. The opposite goes for if you are a little short, it might look more like a tunic.

20/10/2015

melissahaggar As the current VENUE Deputy Editor and former Film Editor, Melissa spends the majority of her free time sobbing over her mountain of MA work or indulging in cinematic outings. A self-professed lover of Gothic & Fantasy genres, Melissa naturally loves Harry Potter, aesthetically pleasing Instagram posts, and classical music. She also really wants to be Jessica Jones.

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…