Aviation academy takes off with help of UEA

The university has become one of several regional groups to offer training and development to support the new Norwich International Aviation Academy, based at the city’s airport.

plane

Up to 40 apprentices will be in training at any one time using the state-of-the-art facilities, which will include a full size aeroplane.

The project will particularly benefit students studying UEA’s new engineering degree programmes, as well as those in Mathematics and Computing Science. The academy is hoped to attract both local and international students, with the programme designed to provide the experience and knowledge required to further a career in the growing aviation industry.

The project will also act as a platform to enhance the city’s reputation within aviation. Andrew Bell, chief executive of Norwich International Airport, said: “One of the Airport’s core strategic objectives is to become a thriving centre of excellence in the aviation Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul business.”

The ambitious Aeropark project is another facility that will be based at Norwich Airport, after being granted planning permission this July. Both initiatives are set to boost local employment and the local economy in the future, with the potential of creating up to 1,400 new jobs. The academy is set to open by 2015.

08/10/2013

chloemoore