On a student budget you can’t always have the extensive wardrobe your heart so desires. It’s a harsh reality that so many students furrow into their overdrafts, credit cards or part time jobs to avoid. Despite the constant changing of trends and the turn of seasons, there are some essential items that every wardrobe ought to contain, and with the new semester upon us there is no better time to check off that wardrobe essentials list.

The perception of the average student varies according to who you ask. Many think we’re all slobs, party animals, or all geeks, but frankly most students are a well-blended mix of them all; and your wardrobe should be too.

For the slouch in you there is the casual t-shirt, no matter the season there is always an array of cute tees from the best of the high street stores. Perfect to throw on if you’re hung-over, hitting a morning lecture or just seeking the casual cool we all work so hard to perfect.

This leads me to knitwear, in these temperamental and cold climates there is no way to avoid the need for good old-fashioned woollen attire! The Boyfriend cardigan is a student cult classic, and now we have the cable knit sweaters over taking the fashion stakes; wear with a sharp-collared shirt underneath and vintage accessories for a look that’s bang on trend, or roll out of your duvet and into these cardigans for convenient fashion.

For the chic-geek in all of us there is the tube skirt or midi dress, it’s been on the agenda since a/w 2011 and certainly isn’t letting up. The midi tube skirt has the length and form of a pencil skirt making it perfect for any interviews, careers fairs or other sensible events you should ever need to attend, but still on trend that it works in your day to day wardrobe too. It’s easily smartened up with a shirt, dressed down with a T-shirt or dressed up with a peplum bandeau, making it an essential wardrobe piece.

On the topic of going out, each wardrobe needs something to dress the party animal that lurks within every student. For this, it’s got to be “The Freakum dress”, to coin an underused and outdated Beyoncé-ism. No wardrobe would be complete without at least one “wow” dress, the one that flatters and can adapt to almost any night out. This is the go to dress for any society balls, friend’s birthday bashes or the one to wear the night after a huge deadline. This season is all about the backless embellished dresses, which fit the bill of being both flattering and fashionable.
With these in your wardrobe you’ll be more than ready to face the new term and whatever fashion challenge it could throw your way, leaving you free to worry about deadlines!