Editor's column

Back where we belong

Here at Concrete, we’ve been busy with start of term preparations, namely introducing ourselves at the Societies Fair and talking to our newest members at the Big Meet! It was lovely to meet so many of you at both events – I am very excited to see the quality of work and passion you all bring to Concrete over the coming year.

Don’t worry if you missed either of these events as you can find all the information you need in our new ‘Concrete how-to guide’. It covers how to write for us, who the team are, how to contact different team members, how to pitch your own articles, and top tips for writing for each section. You can access it via the ‘Get Involved’ tab on the homepage of our website. 

Hopefully I’ve managed to answer any questions you may have within the guide but if not, please feel free to get in touch with me via the following address: concrete.editor@uea.ac.uk.

As for this issue, the Concrete team have worked tirelessly to produce an astounding collection of content. I would like to dedicate a few lines to our wonderful support teams, who work quietly in the background to ensure Concrete keeps running smoothly, enabling us to produce content around the clock. 

Our Copy Editors, Sophie Colley and Phoebe Lucas, ensure every article published within Concrete is consistent to our house style, meticulously checking spelling, punctuation, and grammar. 

Our Head of Online Matthew Stothard uploads articles and updates the Concrete website, playing a vital role in maintaining our online presence. Travel and Lifestyle Editor Tristan Pollitt has also been contributing to our Online Team while we hire for two new Online Editors. 

Lead Photographer Samuel Baxter has been incredibly busy running around campus to capture headshots of our team members which can be viewed on our Instagram and Twitter pages.

And last but not least, our Social Media Manager Badriya Abdullah has been producing varied content for our social media platforms, including article feature posts, graphics for clubs/societies to share on their stories, and publicity for our Big Meet. I’m sure I can say this on behalf of all the Senior Editors – she never fails to impress us.

As you will see in this issue, our Section Editors have produced beautiful layups and our writers have stepped up to the plate yet again to offer well-written, engaging, and thought-provoking articles. 

I hope you enjoy this issue of Concrete. It is truly heart-warming to see Concrete back where it belongs – spread across campus, on coffee tables, and in the hands of the UEA community.

05/10/2021

Dolly Carter

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031