Travel

Barcelona, baby: Where I want to go after lockdown

Before Covid-19 hit Britain, I had been planning a four-day-long trip to sunny Barcelona to celebrate the end of my degree. Ironically, Spain and Barcelona, in particular, have been horribly affected by the virus outbreak. As my end of assignment trip has been taken away from me, I find that dreaming about going on this city break soothes the anxiety I have surrounding coronavirus and encourages me to look forward to a time when we are allowed to travel again.

I dream about the several glasses of sangria I’m going to order; in my eyes, drinking wine and eating tapas is quintessentially Spanish and is something I’ve always wanted to do while visiting Barcelona. Another thing I want to do is sunbathe on the beach while reading and see the sunset over the ocean. I want to see the Basilica of Santa Maria del Mar and La Sagrada Familia, and I want to walk past Casa Milà and Casa Batlló. Park Güell is another of Gaudi’s sculptural buildings; I really admire his eccentric and characterful style. In addition to admiring architecture, I love art. So, I’m really keen to visit Barcelona’s Picasso gallery and museum.

Montjuïc is also a stunning mountain peak, and I want to explore its surrounding botanic gardens and castle which have beautiful views of the city.

The Gothic Quarter of the city also looks amazing, I cannot wait to explore its streets, the architecture is so stunning, and I can’t wait to fully immerse myself in the rich culture within Barcelona. I’ve never been to mainland Spain, and it was something I was very much looking forward to. I cannot wait to be allowed to travel when the pandemic is over, to enjoy Spanish culture but also be able to eat out at restaurants and fully enjoy my Barcelona city break.

19/05/2020

Jess Barrett