Features, Freshers

Bars and restaurants to visit

The first few weeks as a fresher will unashamedly be a haze of £1.50 Jägerbombs, takeaway pizza and cheesy chips (with a garnish of regret) but when it gets to mid-October and you find yourself on first name terms with the Domino’s delivery driver, then hop onto the 25 bus and sample the array of bars and restaurants the city has to offer…

The Red Lion Carvery

For when your parents visit

UEA Student Accomodation seems to be the only in the country that doesn’t provide an oven, but the Red Lion Carvery (a 12 minute drive from campus) will provide you with the roast you’ve been craving when your parents come to visit.

With a choice between turkey, pork, beef, gammon and lamb shoulder, each served with a homemade Yorkshire pudding, vegetables and swimming in rich gravy-it’s so good you’ll feel like you’re back at Grandma’s house!

Biddy’s

For the best afternoon tea

Charming and oh so vintage, Biddy’s was dreamt up in 2010 by owner Charlie to recreate that traditional village staple in the city centre.

It’s the perfect place to go with your housemates, or your mum when she comes to visit, if you fancy something a little different. Grab a hot drink and a massive slab of Oreo chocolate cake, then sit back and enjoy.

Revolution Bar

For cocktails before a night out on Prince of Wales Road

The cocktails in Revolution (or ‘Vodka Revs’ as it is more often referred to) are like those in a top London bar, with the atmosphere, music and design to match.

The Cranberry Fizz made with Raspberry vodka, Cointreau with lime, cranberry and sparkling soda is a personal favourite. The Rum Bongo is also worth a try – made with Bacardi Superior rum, coconut, Grenadine and passion fruit.

Revolucion de Cuba

For a chilled friday night with live music

Revolucion de Cuba tops all other bars in Norwich for atmosphere, attracting residents of all ages to dance the night away to classics such as Robbie William’s ‘Angels’ and The Killers ‘Mr Brightside’.

The Cuban teapots are a highlight and definitely worth ordering to share at least once- you can choose between a Cuba Libre, Fruit Salad, Madhatter and Raspberry Colada Teapot.

In a sentence, if you like rum, you’re definitely in the right place.

The Waffle House

For a late lunch with flatmates

If you only sample one restaurant in Norwich, make sure it’s this one.

The Waffle House have been providing lip-smacking savoury and sweet waffles since 1978 with locally sourced ingredients and 30 waffles to choose from for breakfast, starter, main and dessert in either small or large.

Highlights include the Chocolate Mouse Waffle (£4.50 small/£5.55 large) and Garlic Mushroom & Cheese Sauce (£7.50 small/£8.45 large) and 10% student discount is available!

The Library

For celebrating a flatmate’s birthday

Brimming with history, this Victorian public library was renovated into a restaurant in 2006 and boasts an impressive menu and innovative space, ideal for a group wanting to book something special for a birthday or Christmas meal.

Mains meals range from £7.95 – £14.95 with a popular choice being the Wood-Grilled House Burger with bacon, cheddar cheese and BBQ sauce.

As you sit between the old bookshelves and your food is brought out on a wooden slab, you feel like you’re eating in a high-end restaurant, but paying a fraction of the price.

16/09/2014

louisabaldwin Attributing the survival of 1st year to Jason Derulo, jägerbombs and the Megabus, Louisa is a 2nd year Law Student that ashamedly still hasn’t set foot in the campus Waterstones. After not missing an episode of Eastenders since starting university, Louisa will replicate this passion in her role as Social Events Secretary for the Law Society and writing for Concrete.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Bars and restaurants to visit”

1. Probably one of the worst reviews I’ve ever read about eating and drinking in Norwich. If Vodka revs is you’re idea of a top London bar then I feel pretty sorry for you – Strawberry Woo Woo’s and Apple Sours aren’t exactly high class. Try checking out Franks for some of the best food and drink you’ll ever consume (do a great G&T), the Bicycle Shop for some tasty tapas, or the Workshop for some great Pizza and wine by the karaffe.

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031