Batman to climb Everest; Twilight wins accolades

Twilight wins Worst Picture, Worst Actress (Kristen Stewart), Worst Supporting Actor (Taylor Lautner), Worst Screen Couple (Lautner and Mackenzie Foy as Jacob and Renesmee), Worst Screen Ensemble, Worst Remake/Rip-Off or Sequel, and Worst Director (Bill Condon), but that’s not the only thing that’s made the news?

Batman to climb Everest; Twilight wins accolades (...at the 33rd Golden Raspberry Awards)

Batman himself will be climbing Everest in the near future when Christian Bale plays a New Zealander in Everest, a film based on a disastrous expedition to climb the mountain in 1996. The climb was documented by journalist John Krakauer, in his book Into Thin Air: A Personal Account Of The Everest Disaster, which will form the basis of the film, with Contraband director Baltasar Kormakur taking a prominent role in production. This project will attempt to stand tall alongside Sony’s Everest project, based on Jeffrey Archer’s book Paths Of Glory. This is only one of many projects Christian Bale has lined up after the success of his Batman trilogy. Everest will start production this summer.

After their success with Silver Linings Playbook, rising star Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are set to team up once again with director David O. Russell in a new project, previously named American Bullshit. This project will also feature Christian Bale along with Amy Adams, who is fresh out of her powerful supporting performance in The Master. Lawrence is cast as Cooper’s wife and Adams his girlfriend, in an adaptation of real-life F.B.I. operation: “Abscam”. The story revolves around the F.B.I.’s use of a con artist in an attempt to expose the corruption of Congressmen during the 1980s.

Will Smith and Jay-Z’s recent attempts to back an Annie remake have seemingly come to fruition, with Easy A’s Will Gluck singed on to write and direct. However, as previously speculated, Will Smith’s daughter will not be eligible for the lead role, as she is now considered too old to play the 11- year old orphan. However, Quvenzhané Wallis (of Beasts of the Southern Wild fame) will now star as Annie in this retelling of Thomas Meehan, Charles Strouse and Martin Charnin’s classic musical, with a predicted 2014 release.

Finally, with the spectacle of the Oscars, it’s often easy to overlook the equally important “Razzies”, which honours the worst films of the year. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part Two won big (to the delight of many), being awarded the Razzie for Worst Picture, Worst Actress (Kristen Stewart), Worst Supporting Actor (Taylor Lautner), Worst Screen Couple (Lautner and Mackenzie Foy as Jacob and Renesmee), Worst Screen Ensemble, Worst Remake/Rip-Off or Sequel, and Worst Director (Bill Condon). Other films that were heavily featured include That’s My Boy and Battleship.

05/03/2013

katrynacoak

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031