Battle of the Bands success

Last month saw the return of Livewire’s annual Battle of the Bands event, taking place off campus this year for the first time at Be At One.

This year’s judging panel consisted of a host of industry experts, including Livewire alumni Thomas Little (former Head of Music), Issy Panayis (former Station Manager), and Sam Parker (former Head of Technical), who all hold positions at leading companies in music and radio such as Sony, Radio X, and Smooth FM. Joining the special guests was Blur Drummer and Norfolk County Councillor Dave Rowntree.

The event hosted five acts of various genres, from garage rock three piece Gladboy to Oliver Beardmore, who followed with a more acoustic sound. Alternative outfits Simple City Dress and Robust Soul also impressed, but it was rapper Zoka that astounded the audience with his impressive flow and elaborate wordplay which lead to him being crowned winner of this year’s event.

Speaking to Concrete on his victory, Zoka said: “I had such a good time on stage, to be honest. I was just happy to be able to share that much of my music with people, having never performed for that long before.”

Noting his distinction as the event’s only rapper, he added that, “winning was very unexpected, as my music is very different from the stuff being played, but I’m so happy it connected with people in the way it did.”

Livewire’s Social Secretary Alex Dalton, said: “I’d just say that like the event was an outstanding success for the society, especially being brave to move off campus and give something different a go for the event, which is all thanks to the fantastic Eleanor Martin (Livewire’s Head of Events) – Zoka was a very well deserved winner working the crowd amazingly.”

05/12/2017

shannonmcdonagh

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031