BBC broadcaster appointed in new Biology role

Award-winning broadcaster Ben Garrod has been appointed as UEA’s Professor of Evolutionary Biology and Science Engagement.

The biologist and conservationist will involve teaching undergraduate students and has ‘a strong focus on engaging with the wider public to inform and inspire people about UEA’s research.’

‘I’m so pleased to be part of the UEA team,’ Garrod said. ‘Bringing a strong narrative to research helps bring science alive and can inspire everyone from governments to school children. I want to help show how UEA combines world-leading research, brilliant students and a second-to-none location in reaching every level of our local, national and global community. I can’t wait to get started.’

Over the past decade he has lived and worked around the world; he spent several years in central Africa developing and managing a chimpanzee conservation field site for the renowned chimpanzee scientist Dr Jane Goodall.

Most recently, Garrod featured in the Natural World documentary Red Ape: Saving the Orangutans on BBC Two. Previously Garrod has appeared in BBC television programs including The One Show and Attenborough and the Giant Dinosaur.

He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Animal Behavior from Anglia Ruskin University, a Masters degree in Wild Animal Biology from the Royal Veterinary College and a PhD from University College London and the Zoological Society of London.

Garrod is currently filming a new science series with the BBC and is also the author of a series of six books titled So You Think You Know About… Dinosaurs?

18/02/2019

Annabel Gibson

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3