TV

BBC Three returns to our screens

After five years of being online, BBC Three has returned to the TV screen as its own channel. The decision was approved by Ofcom late last year with the channel coming back at the start of February.  

The channel has been around for almost 20 years and in that time has focused on appealing to a younger generation in comparison with BBC One and BBC Two. In that time, the channel has created some of the most loved comedies and series this century including Gavin and Stacey, This Country, Normal People and Fleabag.  

With an £80 million budget, the channel is hoping to bring in viewers between the ages of 18 and 35. The BBC have said that they believe the channel will broadcast a “rich content mix of drama, comedy, entertainment, documentaries, news and sport”.

However, early reviews of the channel from the likes of The Telegraph and The Guardian have been largely negative with the channel often showing repeats rather than new content. That being said, BBC Three have announced new shows such as RuPaul’s Drag Race UK vs The World and the sitcom Lazy Susan.

There has also been some worry about the fate of BBC Three, as well as the BBC in general, with Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries recently announcing that the licence fee would be frozen for two years. As the BBC look for alternative funding, it raises the question of whether BBC Three will be in the broadcaster’s long-term plans. This channel has made some of my favourite series in recent memory with the likes of Fleabag, This Country and Killing Eve but will they be able to find the level of consistency that their neighbouring channels have?

01/03/2022

Tom Manning

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930