Bernie Sanders becomes frontrunner for Democratic Party nomination

Vermont senator, Bernie Sanders, looks set to have a very good chance of winning the Democratic nomination. Many within the party were initially sceptical of Sanders, and warned that his ‘Socialist’ policies could put off more moderate liberal voters. However, his recent win in the New Hampshire primaries, and similar success in Iowa, shows clear public support for his campaign.

Bernie Sanders has consistently been one of the most progressive politicians in US politics. His main 2020 campaign policy is a ‘Medicare for all’, single-payer healthcare system. He also wants to provide free university education, and eliminate existing student debt. Sanders’ also supports a Green New Deal: a plan for legislation to reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2030 initially proposed by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Bernie’s main opponents have so far been Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar, and Joe Biden. Elizabeth Warren has the most similar policies, with the other candidates having more centrist views. Pete Buttigieg currently has the most delegates of any candidate, with 22 against Sanders’ 21, but predictions show that Bernie Sanders or Joe Biden are most likely to win the nomination. 

However, currently, only two primaries have taken place (in Iowa and New Hampshire), and it’s therefore possible these predictions will change as more results become available. Super Tuesday, when the largest number of states hold their primary elections, will be on 3 March, and should give a much clearer indication of which candidates are likely to win the nomination.

While it’s too early to tell who will win, it’s clear that Bernie’s campaign has gained significant momentum in recent months. His message resonates with voters because he has focused on issues like health care and student debt, that have a real impact on people’s lives. He has been unafraid to stand up to the businesses and their billionaire owners that profit from the current system. His policies are in line with his past voting records, as he has consistently voted for progressive legislation and advocated for tackling income inequality in the US.If Bernie Sanders wins the Democratic nomination,  this could be one of the most significant elections in US history, in which the country must decide between four more years of Trump’s administration, or a shift to towards the left, in what would be one of the greatest changes in the history of America’s political system.

25/02/2020

Henry Webb